Windows XP SP1 update failure

cliffordcooley

I recently had a Windows XP machine (HP Pavilion 783C), of which I performed a System Recovery. After which I noticed my SP1 update failed to connect to Microsoft's update server. I went to Microsoft and downloaded the update again and the same thing happened. My ultimate goal was to install SP3, but SP3 requires SP1 to be installed. I was left with no other option but to do an in-place install of Windows XP(OEM) SP3. This was probably the quickest option with the exception that I had to convert a Retail disk to an OEM disk before I could get the machine activated.

Has anyone else had issues installing Windows XP SP1 update? Or possibly a better solution than a re-install which will require re-activating.

Maybe what I'm asking for is a Windows XP SP1 update that doesn't phone home and require a connection to Microsoft's servers that they obviously shut down.

Windows XP is very good but Microsoft are keen to move people on. When XP was fairly new my internet connection was a telephone modem. Large downloads were not very practical. I requested and received from Microsoft a free XP Service Pack 2 CD. This was posted from Germany and dated 21-03-05. It would be great if they made available for download an ISO for XP with service pack updates and including drivers for current SATA systems but I don't think it will ever happen. I'm sure people would pay to download a legitimate product.

My only complain is for those that perform System Recovery and find difficulty updating because the update servers have been shut down. My issue is planning ahead of time by storing my own update files, only to find out they are still dependent on Microsoft's servers.

At least Adobe is trying to keep their customers happy by allowing them a download, that doesn't require access to an activation server when they shut them down.

I had XP/Pro SP1 and the SP2 update went swimmingly - - not so for SP3. I eventually accepted that and just applied the fixes as they were made available.

HOWEVER, that approach is not likely to work, as MS Update will not longer serve-up these updates.
You CAN access the individual KBs, but you need to know, access and download each-and-ever-one - - no joy here :sigh:

SP2 and SP3 will only install if you currently have SP1 or greater. It's SP1 that I need to install before I can install SP3.

It's the network installers that I have, but apparently SP1 is not a network installer. Or at least the download did not work for me as an off-line installer.

Well maybe I won't need the installer again. It is a rare occasion that I perform a system recovery and find Windows XP RTM. I do at least have the in-place install method. I was simply looking for an easier option.

SP2 and SP3 will only install if you currently have SP1 or greater. It's SP1 that I need to install before I can install SP3.

It's the network installers that I have, but apparently SP1 is not a network installer. Or at least the download did not work for me as an off-line installer.

Well maybe I won't need the installer again. It is a rare occasion that I perform a system recovery and find Windows XP RTM. I do at least have the in-place install method. I was simply looking for an easier option.
Here you go: http://slug.ceca.utc.edu/ftp/pub/windows/patches/winxp/

You want: xpsp1a_en_x86.exe

Back