WindowsXP doesn't load properly with 2 HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new hard drive (160GB) from Western Digital, and when I plugged it in along with my existing HD (an 80GB Maxtor that contained the XP OS), and whenever XP loads (i have an XP pro), the screen flashes (like its turning itselt on and off) while the initial programs load (eg. antivirus software, yahoo messenger, etc.) Does anyone know the cause of this?

More info please:

Is the new hard drive recognized by XP?

Does everything seem to work normally (no more screen flashes) after the booting process?

Have you tried removing the hard drive to prove the flashes are indeed due to it?

Is the new hard drive on the same IDE port as the 80GB drive and jumpered correctly? WD drive have to be jumpered exactly correctly.

Hi,

I did that and the computer loaded up fine the first time..

When I tried running it for an hour.. it froze up.. Now it freezes almost everytime (although it always starts up) sometimes it would even freeze up before windows starts to load..

I'm listing the full specs of my computer...

its
300W Power Supply
pentium 4 2.7GHZ
p4S8X-X Asus Motherboard
80GB Maxtor HD
160 GB WD HD
Liteon CD/R Drive
Liteon DVD/R Drive
NViDIA GEFORCE 4 MX 440 AGP8X

can you see anything wrong with it? thanks

Is your Bios seeing the HDD correctly ?
Remember Windows still has the 137Gb limitation depending on some bios setting etc.
Did you format the drive with WD's software or in Windows itself(I would try to partiton and format from Drive managment in Computer management program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back