Winlogon.exe running 50% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

Hi,

I am curently experiencing an issue where winlogon.exe is running 50% of my CPU constantly - it is not fluctuating at all.

When I logged in today, I entered my login info and my wallpaper flashed briefly before returning to the login screen. When I logged in again it worked normally.

Now my virus-scan is warning me of changes to my shell32 and hosts files (attached), and I have not run WindowsUpdate today. There also are "Generic9.BGEU" trojans in a couple of archives. Lastly, streaming video is having a lot of problems, possibly because of the CPU hogging by "winlogon" but I thought I would mention it for completeness' sake.

Are there any new viruses, etc. out that are related to winlogon.exe? When I "logged in" twice, did I inadvertently provide a hacker with my logon info??

Can I manually stop winlogon.exe and have it run normally upon reboot?

It depends where the winlogon.exe is running, if its from the Msconfig/Startup its ok, if its elsewhere then I would say malware.

It could be the NEVEG.A WORM

Check to see if there is anything like this in the registry,

1. Click Start > Run.
2. Type regedit

Then click OK.

3. Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

4. In the right pane, check to see if any of the follow values are present:

".Prog" = "%Windir%\system\winlogon.exe"
"BuildLab" = "%Windir%\system\winlogon.exe"
"ccApps" = "%Windir%\system\winlogon.exe"
"FriendlyTypeName" = "%Windir%\system\winlogon.exe"
"Microsoft Visual SourceSafe"= "%Windir%\system\winlogon.exe"
"RegDone" = "%Windir%\system\winlogon.exe"
"TEXTCONV" = "%Windir%\system\winlogon.exe"
"WMAudio" = "%Windir%\system\winlogon.exe"

if they are i would get rid of them.

5. Exit the Registry Editor.

None of those entries is there. (yay)

But I'm still a little spooked by the strange combination of
1. double logon with a never seen before 'partial' logon and then apparent kickout
2. strange behavior from startup program controlling logon
3. red flags from virus scanner
:(

So if anyone hears anything about new security issues masquerading as winlogon to steal logon info, please add a note to this thread.:suspiciou

Update:

I just noticed an access denial that I have not seen before (attached). I am logged on as the Administrator, but I am being denied access to AllUsers/Documents.

I recently set up a home network, which is currently disabled. Could this denial simply be because another known network computer is disconnected? I would think that the "AllUsers" section for this computer would refer exclusively to users on this computer...

Attachments

• accesserror.jpg
    accesserror.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 7
Winlogon.exe Solution

I had this same problem. The CPU utilization was at 50% with no programs running. winlogon was showing 50% CPU usage all the time.

I resolved this problem by installing XP service pack 3, per a microsoft kb article - /946480, which states it fixes a memory leak in winlogon.exe.

Hope this helps someone else.

Judi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back