Winlogon problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this problem for quite a while, and it's a little hard to explain.

I have a Dell e1705 running Windows MCE. I have installed all the latest service packs and security updates, and i've done full virus/spyware scans that have come back as clean. My problem, is really just a big annoyance. Basically, once the computer boots to the login screen, when it comes time to enter login/password, windows will not recognize any of the keys and in fact will instantly beep on a keypress. However, if you hold down the key for about 2 seconds after it beeps, it will then finally register a keypress. So it is still possible to login to windows, but now takes 10x as long. This only happens during logon, once logged in, the keyboard is fine. Same when inside the BIOS. Besides going as far as just re-installing the OS, is there anything else i could try? Like re-installing winlogon.exe through recovery console?

I see the PC is a laptop and has no PS/2 connector, so can you borrow a USB keyboard to see if the problem goes away ?

during the logon screen, the laptop won't recognize any external usb keyboards, so i can't really test if it's the keyboard or not.

You might check the bios for keyboard repeat rate, or indeed anything connected with the keyboard. Then no doubt on MCE there is special key-handling requiring an abnormal driver for the keyboard. I would note the details in System/hardware, and then remove it. Reboot (you might need to do this just with the mouse !) and let the OS detect the keyboard and reinstall the driver. Long shot....

Can you tell me if you wait 5 minutes or so before logging in, is it still the same, in other words could it just be Windows grunting and gasping into action. In everyones case before Windows XP has finished loading all the unnecessary crapware, the keyboard will always become unresponsive for varying periods of time (up to several seconds in my case).

If it were to turn out to be 'normal' Windows startup delays, you should do some severe pruning of the startup services using msconfig - there is plenty on the subject in this forum.

i got the external USB keyboard to finally work during bootup, and it does the exact same thing during winlogon. I have to hold the key down for 2-3 seconds for it to register as a key press after it beeps. I've tried uninstalling/then re-installing the keyboard driver, but it was using the default standard 101/102 keyboard driver.

As far as checking the bios, dell has a very simplistic style bios with not much at all that can be changed (for the e1705 anyway). The only thing close was an option for keypad to use Fn instead of Numlock. Trying either one didn't change anything. The next thing i'm going to try is to see if a windows bootdisk (i.e. bartpe etc...) will do the samething or not. Thanks for the help guys :) Any other idea's?

I do build my own computers and i prefer to do it that way and haven't had any problems with those machines. This is a Dell Laptop. I haven't had any really bad experiences with Dell laptops compared with any other brand laptops (except for this current problem of course). When building your own barebone laptops become more feasable/cheaper, maybe someday i'll go that route, but for now, i've got to stick with at least one of the lesser evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back