Winmgmt.exe - Application Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

newkid

Hi there !

I have Win2k Professional with Service pack4.

From Yesterday, I am getting the following error every single minute or when i start any new application or at Startup..

Winmgmt.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77fcc663" referenced memory at "0x007d3743". The memory could not be written."

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

Actually, i was installing the IIS 5.0 and side by side making one document file.. all went good... but then my system stucks and i had no other option apart from rebooting the machine. When i did and restart again, i start getting the above mention error at windows startup or when i wish to start any application... Please help me to get rid of this error..

Its very annoying to press okay button every single minute. Please put somelight how can i fix it ?

With Thanks

Try un-installing IIS 5.0 first. If no go, then re-install IIS 5.0 over whatever of IIS is left on your PC. Switch off all AntiVirus, Firewall and other not-necessary programs before you start.

Thanks for the quick response..

I did whatever you suggested before posting here. I reinstalled the IIS first and installed first with Networking support but it not works.. So I reinstalled and installed again after booting machine without network support... But it also not sort out my problem..

I noticed.. in re-installation and installation both time, I continously got the same mentioned error...

Anyother suggestion please !

With Thanks !

Newkid

Thanks for the URL.. But, i have no issue in installation of IIS.

I am searching help for the last 2 days.. I scan the knowledge base of Microsoft but found nothing there which sort out my problem..

Hope to hear back from other helpful soul..

With Thanks!
Newkid

I attached system-log with this reply.

Please have a look, because I not understand many things in that list..

Thanking you for your anticipation.

Newkid

Attachments

• eventlog.txt
    88.3 KB · Views: 5
Have you by any chance overclocked your CPU?
What are the mobo and CPU temperatures?

Going into Manage/Eventviewer/System, are there any events marked with a RED X or YELLOW exclamation mark?

On the top, please let me know what you meant by overclocked CPU ? FYI.. I never ever touch any CPU settings..

I not aware about mobo and from where I can find the CPU temprature ? Please tell me... I not have sound knowledge of Operating System..

Well.. at last there are hundred(s) of events marked with RED X... All the below types ; Source are marked With RED X

Type Date Time Source Category Event
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error 1/30/2004 11:39 PM SAM None 12291
Error 2/1/2004 10:44 PM Service Cont. Manager None 7031

And all the following types ; Source marked with Yellow Exlamation..

Type Date Time Source Category Event
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning 1/23/2004 3:56 PM Dnscache None 11050

Attached txt file will give you the others events numbers of same type(warning or Error).

Note : Cont. means Control

With Thanks
Newkid

Can you go into your System Eventlog and doubleclick on one of those RED X marked lines with error 7031?
Then let me know what it says there.

Error 7031 is related to winmgmt.

Also, when you are in the Computer Management, go to the bottom, click on Services and Applications, then Services.
In the righthand window is a list of Services. Scroll down to the end. There are 2 items with "Windows Managem....". What is under the columns "Status" and "Startup type" for each?
Tell me if you know how to change these items.

I went into System Eventlog and doubleclicked on one of those RED X marked lines with error 7031. It says something like this..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7031
Date: 2/2/2004
Time: 11:14:24 PM
User: N/A

Description:
The Windows Management Instrumentation service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

I checked the 'startup' and 'status' type of two listing of Windows Management under Service heading. One is Windows Management Instrumentation and other is Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extension. The former 'status' is "Stopping" and the later one has started 'status'. Both startup type is automatic.

Apart from the problem.. I did noticed one more thing.. My machine running slow now. It is taking much time to open any application..

Thanks Reals for your kind support.!
Newkid

Rightclick each of these services, select Properties, then click on the button "Stop" and then "Apply". Then go to "Startup type" above that button and select "Manual", then "Apply" then "OK".

Now go to: C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository
In there you will find a file named: $WinMgmt.CFG$
Delete it .

Now shut down (not restart) and start up again.
The same error-message may appear once more. If so wait till the OK button shows up, then click OK. That should be it.

Realblackstuff,
Thanks for all your kind suggestion. I did the things as you suggested. I stopped both the services.

But in C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository there are no such file $WinMgmt.CFG$.. I even checked the hidden file also.. But no where i could find the same file in any of the directories.

But there is one good news.. The number of frequency of the error message is reduce now. I was quite hopeful that now IIS start working. So, Once again, I reinstalled and then installed IIS after shutdown all the not necessary programs on my machine but still its not functional.. I went into Internet Service Manager to find the reason.. What i saw there was that Default Web site under Machine name showing that service(Default Website) is stopped..So is default ftp site. I was trying to start it but after few minutes it prompt me this error...

The Service didn't respond to Start or Control request in timely fashion

Do you have any idea ? Why it propmts me the same error ?

It seems blackstuff that you are almost on the right way...

With thanks !
Newkid

Newkid,
I am sorry, but I cannot help you any further.

IIS on Win2000 is fairly limited, for perhaps maintaining a small website, and I don't want anything to do with web-publishing. Therefore I don't know much about it, and the problems it has.
So perhaps have a look at the ".... for dummies" publications, they may have one on IIS. The booktitle does not reflect on you!

There is an excellent book "Windows 2000 Professional, Expert Companion", published by Microsoft, written by Craig Stinson and Carl Siechert. ISBN-number: 0-7356-0855-5, US$ 39.99

This will help you a lot, especially since you were asking somewhere else what W2000 was all for.

Realblackstuff,
Your support was excellent. Its just a matter of chance that problem not sort out yet. I was very optimistic that every problem has some solution but now i aware its not true et all specially in case of Mircrosoft Operating System.

The Universal solution of all problem is Formating which i hate to do but apart from that i have no other options.

Thank you very much for all your suggestion and comments.

NewKid

Hi,

I had a similar problem and the following steps seemed to clear up the problem:

1. Stop the service Windows Management Instrumentation.
2. Delete all the files in C:\winnt\system32\wbem\repository. You can save the files in another folder or zip if you like.
3. Restart the service.

I'm cured

Hi.

Ditto on the Winmgmt.exe error. Service would crash every time it attempted to start.

Cleared the repository (C:\winnt\system32\wbem\repository) and restarted service as suggested.

Problem solved.

Respect to TonyB & RealBlackStuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back