WinXP doesn't shutdown after extensive use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

This happens intermittently: after using the computer for an extensive period of time, when I shut it down, it goes through the routine and stops at "saving settings" screen and doesn't end. I've tried waiting upto half an hour and it's still saving. Has anyone experienced this?

I have too Erwin, I believe there is a patch for it at support.microsoft.com. Search for computer won't shut down. I use to get it all the time. If I can find it, I will post the work around here for you. !

I have never had this problem, and I leave my computer running 24/7. Always shuts down without hanging. I've had my computer on for over a week, and others I know have had same for over a month, and no problems. So I'm not sure what to tell you, but check out that link tha boein has given you.

Originally posted by erwin1978
Thanks. How did you find this page? I was not aware there was another version of the update page. I usually just go under Tools menu in IE6 and click on the Windows Update link there. It links to a different update page and it doesn't list the fix there. When I go to the link you gave me, there is 20 more critical stuff I haven't installed. I wonder why this is.
That's the "business" Windowsupdate. It DOESN'T detect what updates you have installed.
You could download everything there & it will still show the same updates available, so ignore it in that sense. Your update is available there however, downloaded it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back