WinXP standby stops computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2ps

hi there,

there are many time when i leave my computer working during night, while im sleeping. when using winxp there is the standby option that apparently turns off the hdd, and i please ask you to correct me if im wrong.

whilein standby the computer makes much less noise, so my question is, can i leave it in standby while i keep downloadings or whatever working? will standby stop those tasks?

thanks.

Simply put 'Standby' is a state of rest for your computer,nothing will be processed during this period.Try looking in your windows help files under APM and ACPI or Microsoft knowledge base

Standby and Hibernate are plain and simple crap that don't wrok properly. One of the first things I do when I install a new OS is turn both of those off. You might want to do the same.

Hey Poertner
I agree with you as to the abilites of this sftware to do as it advertises. I personally just allow my monitors to be shut off .
But I am curious is there some sftware or anything you use or recommend to reduce power/HDD ?

Depending on how you use your computer there are ways with which you can decrease the amount of power it consumes...

If you leave your computer on at night, but doesn't run any programs/download anything, you can safely set the computer to power down the harddrives and the monitor... This does decrease the amount of W it draws... (You can find the settings at the display properties, under the screensaver)

Just don't allow it to go into sleep/standby/hibernation...

I agree...standby and hibernate suck...sometimes they freeze and you have to reboot...major pain in the @$$..I shut 'em off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back