Wireless connected but can't browse

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title of the problem doesn't fully explain the problem I have. I have a wireless router with a desktop pc, laptop and a windows smartphone connected wirelessly and my Xbox 360 connected via ethernet. All devices are connected with an excellent signal and all devices have flawless performance except the desktop PC.

The desktop says it is connected to the wireless network but I cannot browse any websites. I can, however, check emails (a little slower than usual i must add.)

So as you can imagine this is causing me one hell of a headache. For your information the desktop is running Windows 7 32bit Professional, my router is a Thomson B21B6F and my wireless card is a Realtek 8185 Extensible. I hope you can put some light on my problem before I throw something at my PC.

Thanks.

Does it connect when you plug it by ethernet?
Because that will halve the possibilities here ;)

The other half is likely firewall stopping it (or some other installed live protecting program
If you are running a 3rd party firewall, first of all why? Since Windows 7 Firewall is stated to be so good
And secondly, have you tried just uninstalling it?

You could also just set up a new wireless connection

No it doesn't do it while plugged in via ethernet but moving the router is not possible really. My first thought was firewall and firstly tried stopping norton then went for an all out uninstall still no luck and no other protection is installed.

The title of the problem doesn't fully explain the problem I have. I have a wireless router with a desktop pc, laptop and a windows smartphone connected wirelessly and my Xbox 360 connected via ethernet. All devices are connected with an excellent signal and all devices have flawless performance except the desktop PC.

The desktop says it is connected to the wireless network but I cannot browse any websites. I can, however, check emails (a little slower than usual i must add.)

So as you can imagine this is causing me one hell of a headache. For your information the desktop is running Windows 7 32bit Professional, my router is a Thomson B21B6F and my wireless card is a Realtek 8185 Extensible. I hope you can put some light on my problem before I throw something at my PC.

Thanks.

What does it look like under Network and Sharing Center?
Did you setup the your wireless system to be on a Private network?
Are you using Homegroup? (if you have more than one Windows 7 system)
Run the Windows 7 diagnostic for wireless and let Windows 7 fix the problem.
You could do it also requires flushing out the ARP, IPCONFIG an etc..
Which firewall software on the wireless system are you running? Make sure your not running both Windows 7 firewall and third-party such as Norton, Mcafee an etc.

Ok in reply to tipstir, Network and Sharing Centre says connected and access as Internet. The wireless system itself is fine since I can access the web on the laptop with no issues (Vista Home Premium FYI), no homegroup is setup, Win7 Diagnostics says it cannot identify the problem.

In reply to kimsland ran NRT still no luck and followed the other guide too. Still nothing at all.

Disable the wireless and enable wired connection.
Is your problem still present under wired connection?
If not then your problem is with that wireless adapter.
Update the drivers on the wireless adapter?
If that still doesn't work then get another adapter and try that out.

Now if the problem is still present under a wired connection then you have an issue with the router an your system. Does your router support IPV6? If not disable those features under Windows 7 and use IPV4 instead. See if it works now?

It's not a static IP address, that was one thing I thought to check. I have IPV6 disabled after trying to google my problem it was one common thing i noticed but it didn't have any affect. Wired works fine I did have it on wired for ages from one telephone socket but moved it to a different socket when I got my Xbox since i thought the cost for the wireless adapter was a bit steep. So the problem is wireless, I tried to update drivers but windows says the best/latest drivers are already installed. So I'll order a new adapter and see if that fixes the problem, before I do would i be best getting a PCI adapter or just go for a cheap n easy USB one? Plus is there any that are known to work 100% under windows 7. Thanks for all your help so far.

PCI of course ;)

But the best way of telling is by walking into any computer shop or one of those "Mart" stores and buy one that says "Compatible with Windows 7"
Unless you're old and invalid, go to your local computer store.

Here we go, your local computer shop is 10,000 miles away :rolleyes:
Maybe a good time to move ;)
I'm getting a bit sick of everyone ordering cheap everyday stuff online, what happened to just walking into a computer shop? Most Cities; Towns; Suburbs; Areas; have at least one (some have 3 or more, some have 10 lol :D )
Or maybe order online and wait 4 days to get it (especially if you're in a remote area)

Right I'll get onto it today, I would go to my local store as I do for most things these days (support your local businesses always) but unfortunately we don't have a local computer store. We just have lots of antique dealers and book shops. So I'll look for a new PCI wireless adapter on the internet right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back