Wireless connection problems after resetting router (XP cannot renew IP error)

First of all, new here, so if this is in the wrong spot by all means move me.

Let me preface this by saying I am absolutely networking ignorant. That being said, I'm pretty good with computers, so I've tried pretty much everything.

Regardless, I've been having some pretty slow connection speeds as of late, and I decided to call my ISP and ask them what was up. The ran every test they could, and told me it was nothing on their end. They then suggested I contact Netgear, whom provided my router. I contacted Netgear only to find out that they don't talk to you unless you have $$ or have very recently purchased your equipment. While trying to figure out what to do, I noticed that my router had a "reset to factory settings" button. I said why not, and gave it a go. After it reset, I had no internet/connection, so I went into the Admin control, and went to set things up. I put in the IP, subnet mask etc etc, and got to an entry called "DNS". I had no idea what this was, so I called my ISP.(the instructions on the side said they gave it to people w/ a static IP) They told me that this was something given to me by netgear. FML, I then gave up for the night. Today, my father was over, and he tried to fix this whole mess, and he did to an extent. The two other computers on that use my wireless, my brothers laptop and my fathers which run 7 and vista respectively, can both connect and use the internet just fine. My desktop however, XP, cannot connect. It gives me the error "Windows could not finish reparing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address, For assistance contact the person who manages your network." I've been Googling soultions for the last few hours, and I'm at my wits end. I've tried anything I can think of.

Help would be VERY greatly appriciated. I'll download anything and give anyone any logs they need to check what the problem is.

Make sure you have your NIC set to obtain a dynamic ip address and not static. Next try to uninstall the NIC ( including the drivers ). Then dl'd the latest drivers and reinstall.

Again excuse the ignorance, where would I find the NIC control panel. It's a networking thing, and I generally don't go anywhere near those.

Also, I don't know if this would be something similar, but I've tried getting a dynamic IP before, and it just hasn't worked.

Back