Wireless internect connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need some help here!

We share a internet service with another doctor's office on the same floor using the wireless connection. Everything worked fine untill a few days ago. We can't connect to the internet and open any page. We have uninstalled the driver's software and re-installed it again, there is connection and the signal is very strong but just, we can't enter the interent and open any page. The message " limited or no connection" keeps showing up! What can I do to fix that? I really need some kind people here to help because my boss is killing me because of that! :-(

Thanks a million in advance!

P.S. We are using the Windows XP

This other doctor's office knows about you I suppose? I mean, they may have turned off free access from the outside. Or else how is this arrangement handled? Just talk to them and see if anybody changed security settings on the router.

Otherwise, if you truly are connected, but just can't view pages, I would check to see if you have any firewall or security software blocking something. Did you recently install any security software?

Lastly, if all else fails, you may have LSP problems, you can try running this program:
http://www.zacksdomain.com/upload/files/WinsockXPFix.exe

If the link doesn't work, just search for that exe file. See if that helps any. Also try using another browser besides Internet Explorer. See if Firefox or Netscape works if you have them.

It's a start. Good luck!

Thanks very much but the link doesn't work and I can't search for the exe file either. Now, I think the computer isn't really connected though there is strong signal, showing that the adapter is receiving the signal. There is a new message saying that there is no IP address registered with the computer. I really don't know what to do now.......

Before the attack, the computer just set the wireless connection itself but after we reinstalled the software of the adapter, it changed to "wireless connection 2" itself. Where's the number 1 gone then? We've tried unplugging and replugging the adapter and reinstalled the software, nothing happened! Still can't find the server with the strong signal! :-(

What's wrong with the computer? Thanks a million in advance!

Well the idea is to find out if you are connected or not. You can have a strong signal, but that is all it means, is you have a strong signal. You still have to connect to it. Which you do from the wireless utility. Either the built-in XP wireless util, or the one from your card's manufacturer.
Within that utility, you should be able to scan for networks and connect to it. So find the utility, find the connect button, and see what happens.

The link I gave works, but it's hosted on a system that is offline sometimes, just try again. What that little program does is reload all your Winsock and LSP-type stuff. Which often clears out connection issues. Try it again.

If you click Start->Run->cmd and open up the prompt, and then type ipconfig /all and list what it says. Mainly about IP address and dhcp server and such, whatever you can list, it may help a little.

The "connection 2" usually comes from a disconnection and reconnection, where the system still thinks the first connection is something different, so it makes a new one. It's not uncommon. Nothing to worry about.

Don't know if that helps, but it gives you something to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back