Wireless N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I just need to buy some accesories for a Dell Inspiron 1720 notebook, the internal NIC which is a Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N card and a wireless N router, which i chose 5-Port WNR854T RangeMax™ NEXT Gigabit Edition Wireless-N Router from Netgear, both to reach fastest speed in the wireless home network i'm willing to make.

The problem is what it writes here as a Note:
dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&l=en&ref=CFG&s=dhs&~id=hmc_wireless_inspn&~lt=popup&~series=inspn

Note: Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N card requires a 5GHz Wireless-N router

5-Port WNR854T RangeMax™ NEXT Gigabit Edition Wireless-N Router from Netgear is only at 2.5GHz and i don't know another such a good router like it also at 5GHz.

Is it a mistake the Dell Note?
As i know it would match any 2.4GHz Wireless N router.

I'm sure it will still work at 2.4GHz frequencies just maybe not as well as you would be hoping for (still better than 802.11G speeds).

Why not, the internal card is one of the best, part of the Centrino Duo and the router is a speedy gigabit router Wireless N at 300mbps and i was told that i don't need to work on 5GHz, just for extra range if i need.

Thanks for your opinion.

Well the good thing about the 5GHz frequency range is that it is not affected by other wireless devices running in that 2.4GHz range & therefore the bandwidth effectively available to you is much closer to the theoretical values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back