Wireless network adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumna

Hi everyone

I thought I posted this about 2 weeks ago, but I can not find it, here is my problem, please
I have computer ( win xp) with a linksys pci adapter. It connects fine until about a month ago, I do not know what happened. Now when I try to connect, it connects and it disconnects in a few seconds. DHCP is enabled. ping 127.0.0.1 it works fine. i ping ip address (assigned to computer), it works fine. ping gateway address, request timed out.
Linksys router wrt54g is working ok because I can access the internet.ipconfig and i get ip address 192.168.2.100. ip address assigned to wireless computer 192.168.2.101, use my host computer, and ping this address 192.168.2.101 , I get request timed out..
the problem I cannot use my wireless computer to access the internet and and I need help.
the little square on right hand side on the task bar it shows connected with excellent signal 100%, quality 93%.I can see the (internet connection) square trying to connects and sometime it connects and then disconnects. I would appreciate anyhelp, very please

Uninstall the driver
reboot the PC
Reinstall the driver

Don't use any static IP address let the PC use DHCP from your router to auto assign the IP address.

Thankyou Tipstir

I jusd did like u said and now it does not connect but trying to acquire an address.
ipconfig /all, no ip address and subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. It always used to be 255.255.255.0. any more ideas, Thanx
dumna

Have you updated the stock firmware to Linksys or DD-WRT or Tomato firmware?
Backup your configuration in the router
Shutdown your entire network (turn off all laptops and this PC too)
Do a 90 second reset (this will blow out all settings in the router)

1. Reset button must be held down for a full 90 sec
2. Power will be going through the router
3. First 30 secs
4. Second 30 secs you would unplug the power cord
5. Third 30 secs you would plug in the power cord

Turn on one PC and connect that to the router to and see if you can connect and get on the internet
Are you using DSL or Cable? Did you update the driver for the PCI Wireless Adapter.

If the above doesn't solve your issue replace the Linksys PCI Wireless Adapter or move it into another slot away from any Video cards and such.

Hi
I did reset router for 90 seconds as u said. pc with adapter got connected fine but my host pc (with router) wouldnt connect. then I changed security in the router and password and 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 and i got it working, now the pc with adapter does not work. must be something simple that I missed,
any new ideas
thanx

Typical problem with most adapters... not unique to LinkSys.
When this problem occurs, repalce the adapter

O.K. this is what I did. changed the name of network to SSID. disable d encryption. now it is open, any one can connect thru my setup, .
my pc with adapter works now, I'll have to check the laptops etc. tho.
I do not understand why it would not connect and stay connects to encripted network, I am missing something here.
I thought i'd keep u posted. any ideas to try before I buy a new adapter
thanx

Thank you for the update.
When you feel it is working well, follow the suggestions of tipstir one more time, as your Linksys router wrt54g is capable, if working properly. Be sure you have the correct version of the Linksys firmware is installed, using the information on the Linksys label.

O.K. this is what I did. changed the name of network to SSID. disable d encryption. now it is open, any one can connect thru my setup, .
my pc with adapter works now, I'll have to check the laptops etc. tho.
I do not understand why it would not connect and stay connects to encripted network, I am missing something here.
I thought i'd keep u posted. any ideas to try before I buy a new adapter
thanx
typical issue for G/N mode devices. Force G-Only mode usually resolves the issue. WPA2 seems to frequently be difficult when there's mixed vendor devices, while WPA will usually work well.

Should have had you test the device right on top of the router to see if you could connect or not? Sounds like the issues still with the wireless adapter. You should be able to use WPA2 AES under G. Still sometimes using the Reset 90 seconds and then trying to re-install the firmware on the router might fix the problem. Again best to get another adapter (USB instead) and see what happens as suggested above. SSID shouldn't be the issue. Try using the default IP address that Linksys uses as the default in the router. Sometimes changing the IP address causes issues. It's not suppose to but it can happen.

It's either your Linksys Router or the wireless adapter not functioning correctly?

hi
I just updated the wireless adapter driver and bingo, it works . I am using it now to send this message.. i hope it stays connected. so far so good.
thank you guys, I couldnt have done without you all. Thank u again.

Hi
I think I spoke too soon. this morning the network adapter was disconnected. when I try to connect, it connects and then it disconnects, so updating the driver did not help that much.

Get a copy of Network Stumbler and it will show you all the other nearby WiFi stations.
Object:- pick a channel that is NOT being used by others.

set you router to G-MODE only

Either your device is defective, or everything requires a new install of all software after complete removal of the old install. I am betting against the LinkSys. Although we use a great deal of LinkSys equipment without problems, we do see some that are trouble forever.
We have found that when a driver update fails, a complete removal from the registry and elsewhere, with a complete new install is more reliable.

We have found that when a driver update fails, a complete removal from the registry and elsewhere, with a complete new install is more reliable.
Unless the user is attached to the router with USB (usually only seen on Modems) , the Ethernet connection with RJ45 has no registry entries whatsoever -- that's part of the simplicity of Ethernet.

Thank u
I just got it working again. You see, I had to download the driver update using my working pc, and copied file on to CD to be able to install in wireless pc. I do not know what happened when I did the install yesterday, it worked fine. this morning it was disconnected, apparently the update driver file was somehow deleted. I just went ahead and reinstalled the file again, this time I made sure it installed in pc.It is working now. I think I used CCleaner yesterday, and may be it cleaned the file, if it was a temp file.. Sorry for my confusion. if something goes wrong again, I'll let u all know. Thank u again

Glad you got it working . Please keep us informed as this is a good experience from which to learn client difficulties.

Unless the user is attached to the router with USB (usually only seen on Modems) , the Ethernet connection with RJ45 has no registry entries whatsoever -- that's part of the simplicity of Ethernet.

Sorry , I dont know how to do registry. afraid I might mess things up, ouch ...

I don't believe that's correct (or maybe i misunderstand what you meant) Registry data includes
> Information about the Ethernet LAN driver plus
> Information about all the Ethernet connection properties

e.g. there's quite a bit of data specific to Ethernet connection properties stored within HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters alone

Oh. And as i see you and tipstir just posted re: the registry, i'll add..

For myself, the only registry cleaner i trust is CCleaner (as tipster mentioned)
> I've never had a problem with it in all the years i've been using it for registry cleanup
> And, of course, it's still wise to do a registry backup first

the point is, it's UNNECESSARY :)

to qualify that statement, the ROUTER has no specific settings PER brand name nor anything other than the config data
seen by IPCONFIG /ALL

Thanx
I was just thinking since my pc takes sooo long to boot and to shut down, beside uninstalling the unneeded programs, sometimes , I understand some will be left in the registry and need to delete those items. Hey, I may be a little off here, I better not mess with registry period. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back