Wireless network (What works?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pioneerx01

This is odd post...
What would be a good pcmic for my laptop? Does anyone know if there are such cards that when you insert them in the slot they do not stick out, (or just little?)?

Thanks

Define "just a little :) Mind you, the bits that stick out are the antenna and they are necessary if you want a decent signal.

There are PCMCIA wifi cards that fit completely in the PCMCIA slot, but you have to use an external antenna

Well, I am looking to buy a card and I have Netgear card on the top of my list. However It will stick out about 1 inch +. Is there one that is only like 1/2 to none? I know the antena is necesary, but must it be over inch wide?

Dlinks got some that have internal antennas as opposed to the external ones (i think it was the DW-630 or something like that) but it still sticks out a bit 1/2 inch? (from the tip of your index finger to the 1st knuckle). There are some netgear ones that are similar...

Although i have a feeling we might be talking about the same thing you're telling us about....

I imagine that about an inch is pretty much the minimum to make sure your card doesn't get eclipsed by the metal frame of the computer or the PCMCIA assembly.

3com makes wireless cards with the so-called XJACK antennas - you can push the antenna in the card when you are offline so the thing is level with the edge of PCMCIA slot.

This is one of them. 3com has a whole product range.. You can check their homepage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back