Wizards of the Coast claims it didn't know an artist used AI-assisted images in upcoming...

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Are people ever going to learn that most consumers really, really don't like AI-generated artwork? The latest example of this fact being ignored comes from a Dungeons and Dragons artist who used the technology to create some images in an upcoming book. Publisher Wizards of the Coast says it had no idea this was happening, though not everyone believes its claim of innocence.

The controversy involves the next Dungeons & Dragons sourcebook, called Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants. D&D Beyond released an article on August 1 previewing three frost giants that would appear in the book, but some people spotted the tell-tale signs of AI-generated art in two of the three pieces.

Ilya Shkipin, a 14-year veteran D&D artist, later admitted that he had used AI to enhance his original images, generate some additional details, or for polishing and editing - as opposed to entire pieces being generated by a machine. He said in private messages that "overall it was painted digitally." You can see an example below, with the AI-enhanced version on the left.

Shkipin might have thought his admission that AI was only used sparingly would placate angry D&D fans, but no. He had to delete the tweet, lock his Twitter, and delete his ArtStation due to the harassment he received.

Wizards of the Coast then joined the controversy by tweeting that it was unaware Shkipin had used AI to help create images for the book, though not everyone thinks this is true. The company confirmed that no text in Glory of the Giants is AI-generated, and it will be updating its guidelines to restrict the use of the technology. It added that the images will be replaced with new ones that haven't been created with the help of an AI.

Replacing the images will be a difficult task given that the book releases on August 15, meaning there will likely be thousands already printed containing the AI art. So unless it gets delayed, the first run could look different from the rest.

Gamerant reports that April Prime, another artist who has worked on D&D campaigns, said she made concept art for the new book that was given to Shkipin, who then used AI to create the final versions (below).

It's not turning out to be the best year for Wizards of the Coast. The company faced massive backlash in January over a refresh of its old Open Game License (OGL) that severely restricted how Dungeons & Dragons-inspired tabletop roleplaying game creators and the community as a whole could adapt the base rules of D&D in their works. The anger saw Wizards of the Coast quickly decide that maybe the changes were a bad idea.

This is just the latest outcry over AI-generated/assisted art. We saw the same thing when it was confirmed Marvel show Secret Invasion's intro utilized the technology. And System Shock developer Prime Matter was blasted for using Midjourney to create a picture of antagonist Shodan and sharing it on social media.

Permalink to story.

Better not be using a lot of photoshop's editing features then. Those are also "AI" assisted 🤦‍♂️

What a complete over reaction to someone using more AI as a helping tool....

That's stupid. Ai of this level is more like applying some fitters on own work. It is always like that - *****s with pitchforks and torches always yelling at everything they simply do not understand.

That's stupid. Ai of this level is more like applying some fitters on own work. It is always like that - *****s with pitchforks and torches always yelling at everything they simply do not understand.
Should we talk about what it is at this level or rather what it aims to replace though?
I hate the idea that a piece of software scans real works created by real people (often without any permission whatsoever) and then enriches its creators without sharing nothing with people whose work was the only reason this machinery can produce art. Make your ai, but also make a database of every image you used to train it.
Do the same for all books.

Should we talk about what it is at this level or rather what it aims to replace though?
I hate the idea that a piece of software scans real works created by real people (often without any permission whatsoever) and then enriches its creators without sharing nothing with people whose work was the only reason this machinery can produce art.
You realize the process you describe is exactly how human artists are trained, right? They "scan without permission" the works of others artists, then create new works, based on them. It is standard practice in art classes to compose "in the style of" a particular artist -- and often the assignment is to duplicate, as exactly as possible, the work of a past master.

A human who isn't able to draw from this past body of work would produce "art" about as sophisticated as a Neanderthal cave drawing.

If you're not going to do it, to please people, then don't do it.
If you're going to do it, and not care what people think, then stop caring what people think and do what you want and STOP caring what people think or comment.
Doing anything in between makes you look like a wimp and a coward, who bows down to peer pressure lacking a spine.
Simple.

I'm confused as to why people care how DnD book art is produced. There was no copywrite violation, nor artist rights or monetization infringement here... what's the deal?

I'm confused as to why people care how DnD book art is produced. There was no copywrite violation, nor artist rights or monetization infringement here... what's the deal?
I think people want to complain, just for complaining sake. They must have nothing better to do with their time as their lives are pathetic as losers. I agree with you, and not only that, it wasn't generated from scratch, it was just enhanced, which like another person posted, is no different than a lot of the filters that are currently out there without complaints. But most people are evil, vindictive, and selfish, and they will ruin someone's life for the smallest issue, and that goes for 80%+ percent of the world's population given any situation where there is hardship or struggle.

I....don't understand the problem.

he used a program to clean up "his" art and people went ballistic over it?

I mean, using a computer in general to create special effects in a movie is the same thing isn't it?
Gary Gygax wants a word with you.

High fantasy art and D&D art has ALWAYS been a thing of high quality works and artistry. Several works of art are highly respected for their renditions, because of the Artist imagination and detail...

I have some signed drawings that I paid well ovr $600 for.

Ai isn't art... it's stealing artists techniques. Which is fine, but don't try to sell it in a book, or as works of art.

Back