Would like to do a complete uninstall and do a fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, i posted this yesterday and got little response (the one response was appreciated) :

I have an old PC (Compaq Presario Desktop 7470 ) that i purchased from a yard sale. I removed the old HD and replaced it with a quantum 30gb at Lct 20 HD that had Windows ME OS on it. I booted the pc and it booted fine except windows booted up in 16 bit color. I shut down and booted again. same thing. i shut down a third time and checked BIOS settings, then set them to default. Now BIOS doesn't recognize the HD or the CD-ROM drive. I have checked all connection, reset BIOS, removed the CMOS battery, I literally have tried everything I can think of to get things going on this old PC, but I am at the end of my rope. I will say that scandisk will recognize the HD and says it is OK. I have also taken the HD out and hooked it up to another PC and it boots up Windows ME just fine. I have also tried every jumper setting on the HD and Cd-rom to no avail and the only drive that shows up in BIOS is the 3.5 floppy drive which will boot up a Windows ME Boot Disk. I don't have a problem installing a fresh OS but want and need the PC to recognize the drives before i can do that correct?
I am ready to pull my hair out!! Can anyone please help me?!!!?

So today I have come to the conclusion that I just want to wipe my system of everything and just do a fresh install of a new copy of windows 98 that i have laying around. The only problem is that i only have access to the floppy drive and the BIOS is not recognizing the HD as i stated yesterday. the only bootdisk that i can get to work is the windows me bootdisk. can anyone help me get started on this fresh install?

sorry cant be any more help as i dont know that computer but your problem is in the bios settings you reset, go through them all to try to find references to ide or hd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back