Would this work / be compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonWolf

Hi guys,

I'm considering building my own PC, and I have never done it before. So far, I think I have gotten the right parts, but would like someone to help go through my list fo rme to make sure nothing is incompatible. I'm not going to be building it anytime soon, but I will once summer hits.

Usage:
  • 1) Average gamer, games like Counterstrike, WC3 are my thing. The only upcoming game that I look forward to is Diablo 3.
  • 2) Watch a lot of movies, streaming videos, etc.
  • 3) Everyday stuff.

I like my computers fast, I like to have a crap load of folders open all over the place. I don't need hard drive space because as I've mentioned, I like to keep them as small as possible and going for the best RPM at an affordable price. Also, I intend to have two monitors (second monitor could be 22 / 24"., so I'm guessing the GPU must be good to support resolutions at 1680 x 1050?. I currently already own a Samsung 22".

Having said that, here are the parts I've chosen.

1) RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Retail - $79.99

2) Rosewill RP500-2 500W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Retail - 49.99

3) Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail - $167.99

4) ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $114.99

5) G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - $57.99

6) EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $134.99

7) Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD1601ABYS 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM $59.99

8) LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDP118-08 - Retail - $19.99

Having said that, does anyone have suggestions on possible ways to make it cheaper? Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I do intend to overclock it to 3.6 or 4.0 if possible. Will I need to get those custom fans for the CPU instead?

Cheers.

klepto,

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. I was wondering though, won't there be a marked difference between the processor I chose and yours due to the extra L2 Cache? Or does cache actually show very little real world difference?

Cheers.

Go with the Antec Nine Hundred instead of the Raidmax case, swap out the PSU for an Antec EA430, and get an HD 4830 from Sapphire or HIS instead of the 9800GTX+. Everything else can stay the same.

Go with the Antec Nine Hundred instead of the Raidmax case, swap out the PSU for an Antec EA430, and get an HD 4830 from Sapphire or HIS instead of the 9800GTX+. Everything else can stay the same.

Rage,

Thank you! I appreciate your advice. I think I'm going to go with your recommendations instead!

Also, I was wondering, is it generally a better idea to buy the retail Vista 64-bit version, or should I go with the OEM one-time-install version? I've heard people being able to reinstall on different computers using the OEM version but I'm not sure which I'd need.

Cheers.

the cpu i put on there is a good cpu and can be overclocked alot to like 3.8 ghz also the video card rage told you to get is less powerful than the one i told you to get or even the one you wanted the 900 case is a great case though. the cache diff isn't really that big of a deal on the cpus IMO.

The OEM version requires you to uninstall it from whatever PC it is currently installed on, before you can install it on another PC. It is essentially married to the current system it is on.

The OEM version requires you to uninstall it from whatever PC it is currently installed on, before you can install it on another PC. It is essentially married to the current system it is on.

Rage,

Thank you, I'll probably just get the OEM version then.

Cheers.

the cpu i put on there is a good cpu and can be overclocked alot to like 3.8 ghz also the video card rage told you to get is less powerful than the one i told you to get or even the one you wanted the 900 case is a great case though. the cache diff isn't really that big of a deal on the cpus IMO.

kleptop,

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it. However, the reason why I opted to go with Rage's build was because as I've mentioned before, I don't really need a great card, I play very little games. I just need a card that won't break down on me if I'm using dual monitors and watching streaming videos and stuff. My current card in my laptop is a GeForce GO 7600. Whatever card I choose will be like comparing heaven and earth (I think).

Okay, I was thinking again, how good are "Quad Core Processors"? I've been reading and some people have said that software as it is today does not utilize quad-core processors to their maximum potential, and that it's better to just get a Core 2 Duo, any meat to this?

Cheers!

That is true. As an example, the Q8200 is easily outclassed by the dual-core E8400. You can look them up on the Tom's Hardware CPU Charts for a program-wise comparison.

Quad-core CPUs are very useful however for apps which take advantage of all cores, such as those for 3D content creation like Maya and 3DS Max.

That is true. As an example, the Q8200 is easily outclassed by the dual-core E8400. You can look them up on the Tom's Hardware CPU Charts for a program-wise comparison.

Quad-core CPUs are very useful however for apps which take advantage of all cores, such as those for 3D content creation like Maya and 3DS Max.

Rage,

Thank you very much once again. I'm certainly not that person then! Haha. Also, are aftermarket coolers necessary if I plan to do overclocking (my current specs does allow me to OC right)? And will I need a better power supply for overclocking or is that not necessary since I have a very minimalistic setup?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your insight on the matter. I'm not too savvy when it comes to these things. I'm currently just doing lots and lots of reading before I start anything.

Cheers!

I recommend using an aftermarket cooler for any OCing. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is far better choice for only $5 more than the Freezer 7 Pro. It comes with a rebate too, as well as free shipping, and it performs much better than the other cooler, despite the minimal price difference.

The PSU will be okay though, since the system will not draw much power anyways, so an OC will hardly stress it too much.

You should go with the E8400 or a dual core from the E8xxx series, the 3mb of L2 cache will actually help a little, and the price difference is minimal, but the E7xxx series are very good CPU's for the price.

I do not actually think you would need an aftermarket cooler to OC a 45nm Wolfdale to 4.0ghz, or even a voltage increase, but aftermarket coolers are good.

I actually have a question, do aftermarket coolers come with thermal conductive (I assumed they did)? If not a $5 bottle of Arctic silver could be useful.

You should go with the E8400 or a dual core from the E8xxx series, the 3mb of L2 cache will actually help a little, and the price difference is minimal, but the E7xxx series are very good CPU's for the price.

I do not actually think you would need an aftermarket cooler to OC a 45nm Wolfdale to 4.0ghz, or even a voltage increase, but aftermarket coolers are good.

I actually have a question, do aftermarket coolers come with thermal conductive (I assumed they did)? If not a $5 bottle of Arctic silver could be useful.

hellokitty,

Thank you, that is good to know! Im not sure if the thermal conductive is included. However, I do not think I will be needing it since the Wolfdale does come with its stock fan which I presume would also mean that a thermal conductive is included.

Once again, thank you EVERYONE! YOu guys have been awesome. I have all the items in my cart and I'm just bidding my time before I click the checkout button!

Cheers.

The stock heatsink comes with TIM pre-applied. You do not get it separately. So buy some if you can. I recommend Tuniq TX-2 paste instead of AS5, since performance is exactly the same (if not better) and in addition to being non-conductive, TX-2 is easier to clean off and reapply as well. Plus, it does not have as large a settling time as AS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back