Wrong cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i mistakenly purchased an AMD MP 2800. i meant to get an XP 2800.

my understanding is the MP is for workstations and servers. i don't have a server. i just want it to run my desktop PC.

i haven't tried it yet, so i guess my question is; will i be able to use the MP on any motherboard that would support the XP 2800 and will it function as an XP?

i use my pc primarily for gaming.

While many Athlon MP mainboards will also work with Athlon XP (single cpu fitted only), it is highly unlikely that your Athlon MP will work on an Athlon XP mainboard. The bios will most likely not recognise your CPU.

It would be better to return the item, especially as standard Athlon XP CPU's are also much cheaper.

thanks for the info. it is unlikely i will be able to refund/exchange it.

since i use my pc for gaming i.e. ms flight simulator, can you recommend a board that will support the MP and be good for gaming?

Your best bet is to call whoever you got the processor from and explain to them you ordered the wrong processor. If they have any decent ethics they will let you return it and get a different processor. Otherwise, well, I hate to say it but you are going to have to spend a little money getting an MP supported board :-/

the best way i see of doing it is to sell it on ebay and buy an XP with the procedes and u might even get some money back

Steg

I've never been one to worry about whether my MB can recognise the CPU. Just set it to run in manual for the CPU setting in BIOS and set your FSB and multiplier manually. Heck, that chip is totally unlocked! I'll trade you my 2600/333 for it.

The AthlonMP is more likely to work on an AthlonXP board then the contrary.;)

The only difference between the AthlonXP & AthlonMP, is a closed L3 bridge & the identification string ( it will post "AthlonMP 2800+" rather then "AthlonXP 2800+" :rolleyes: ).

Where there might be a problem, is if you thought you bought a 166FSB chip which it isn't. The AMD 760-MPX chipset doesn't support an FSB above 133 which is why there aren't any AthlonMPs with a faster bus. It has 512K of L2 cache though.:blush:

But like the others said, you can always just bring it back & not take any chances.

Originally posted by Didou ...
The AthlonMP is more likely to work on an AthlonXP board then the contrary.
I think not, simply because many Athlon MP mainboards actually specify support for single Athlon XP chips. This is not the case with any Athlon XP mainboards, so I don't know how you can say that an MP chip is more likely to run on an XP mainboard, when the specs tell a different story.

Note that I'm not saying that an MP chip will not work in an XP mainboard, just that it is unlikely, as the MP chip has a different architecture and requires specific mainboard support to use its features. Maybe it will run without its supported features, but I certainly wouldn't risk it. I would assume that the bios would also have to *know* about the chip in order to configure itself properly and display the CPU details during boot. Who knows, your guess is as good as mine. :confused:

Originally posted by Nic
the MP chip has a different architecture and requires specific mainboard support to use its features.
Like Didou said, MP = XP with L3 bridge closed. It has the same architecture, and some dual-CPU motherboards actually work with two XP CPUs - so I don't understand what specific support it would require.

If both XP and MP CPUs were identical, then why aren't MP CPUs available at the same speeds, why do they cost considerably more, and why aren't they available for sale at the same time as the XP chips become available?

They may very well share many features in common, but I doubt that they differ only in the L3 bridge being closed, as that is one physical difference that can easily be made to XP chips, thus killing off any market for the higher priced MP chips. They may very well be 'pin compatible', but that doesn't mean that they are identical, and in fact they aren't, though they do have a lot in common.

Some additional features of the MP chip (disabled in XP chips?):
==============================================
Dual point-to-point, high-speed system buses.
Innovative bus snooping capability.
Optimized MOESI cache coherency protocol.
The front-side bus of the AMD Athlon MP processor also provides multiple-bit error detection and single-bit error
correction with 8-bit Error Correcting Code (ECC).

The bios has to know about the CPUs that it supports, so that it can automatically (most new mainboards are jumperless) set the correct voltages, multipliers, fsb, etc. (e.g. Abit KT7 had a bios update to support the Athlon 1400 when it became available, also Abit NF7-S has had a bios update for the new AMD Thornton CPUs for when these become available).

Here's an interesting article ...

Modding the Barton XP to a Barton MP

Quote ...
There you have it, the Barton XP can indeed be modded to run in a dual processor board. As we've mentioned, it's only possible with certain motherboards and BIOS revisions. Since we did not have the luxury to test every single AMD 760MPX motherboards for compatibility, we can only verify at this point of time that the MSI K7D Master is possibly the only verified candidate for this modding.
Well, that's all there is to modding the Barton XP core to an MP-capable processor. Whether it's a Morgan, Palomino, Thoroughbred or Barton, there's no reason why you cannot mod them to operate in dual processor mode. However, do note that AMD maintains that this method will not give you the reliability offered by true Athlon MP processors. Therefore, users should be reminded that this is mainly for enthusiasts seeking an affordable dual processor setup and not meant to be used for mission critical systems. Users should be responsible for any damages and losses of critical data or systems arising from this modification.

Seeing as an MP mainboard will only work with *modded* dual XP CPUs if the bios supports it, then it would be asking for trouble to try and run an MP CPU in an XP mainboard that was never designed to work with an MP CPU. Besides, who would want to use an MP CPU in a single processor mainboard? Not anyone really, so how can you possibly expect it to work, even if you do mod your chip to make look like an XP model CPU.

MP is more expensive because it is certified to run in multiprocessor configurations. I've heard of people using MPs, long ago, so as to have the unlocked feature that was a pain to get with the Palominos.

Originally posted by Nic
Seeing as an MP mainboard will only work with *modded* dual XP CPUs if the bios supports it, then it would be asking for trouble to try and run an MP CPU in an XP mainboard that was never designed to work with an MP CPU. Besides, who would want to use an MP CPU in a single processor mainboard? Not anyone really, so how can you possibly expect it to work, even if you do mod your chip to make look like an XP model CPU.

** Cough ** 2 XPs as MPs with modded BIOS ** Cough **.

An MP probably will work, it may just get detected as an XP, or some single chip boards will recognise MPs.

Originally posted by Nic
If both XP and MP CPUs were identical, then why aren't MP CPUs available at the same speeds, why do they cost considerably more, and why aren't they available for sale at the same time as the XP chips become available?

Because the AMD 760-MPX is the only platform available for Dual Athlon configurations & it only supports 133FSB.

The extra time between the release of an AthlonXP & an AthlonMP at the same speed, is the time it takes to test the chip in a Dual CPU configuration.

I don't know about the higher clock speeds, but my AMD Athlon MP2200+ works fine in my Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.

I was in the same situation at the guy who started this thread: I bought the chip for a Tyan Tiger motherboard, and later found out that the board only supported a max speed of 1800+. Stuck with the CPU lying around, and tired of having to make traces to O/C my other chips, I decided "what the F..." and dropped it in.

POSTed as an XP2200+, and to date haven't had a problem yet. :grinthumb:

Mind you, my machine has only been up for all of 20 minutes, but we'll see what happens... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back