daystar

Hi all here are my specs:

Gigabyte 3.4 ghz Pentium D
Gigabyte S series Motherboard
Maxtor 230 gb hdd
ati x1300 pro pci express
600 watt pwr supply
1 gig kingston (2x512mb)

I play counter strike 1.6 and counter strike source. 1.6 runs perfectly while i still get a drop in fps in source. Overall my computer is running great and i bought it only 2 weeks ago. I am able to get a deal on the Geforce 7900 gs for $150 Canadian. I have reviewed some of the specifications but i am not to knowledgeable with video cards. Would it be worth it to upgrade from the ati x1300 pro to the geforce 7900 gs? would it run that much better? what are the main differences? Any help would be appreciated thank you.

The 7900GS is definitely a better card. Since you do have a pci express slot it will be able to connect. You should see noticeable frame rate increases.

The GeForce 7900GS would be a lot better than the Radeon x1300.
The Radeon x1300PRO is a low-end model, whereas the GeForce 7900GS is considered a high-end model.

Think of it this way. You can usually classify the graphics card as low/mid/high-end by looking at the last three digits in its model number. In this case, it's 300 and 900. The latter being higher, it is generally better. Similarly, something with a 600 (like GeForce 7600, or Radeon x1600) would be a mid-range card. Make sense?

These are just very basic assumptions you can make if you don't understand the specs listed for the product. If you need more information on shopping for video cards, Google is a great place to look. It's a lot easier to shop for video cards if you know exactly what each of its specs mean.
For now, I'll just tell you that the GeForce 7900GS is a lot better than the Radeon x1300Pro, especially if you can get it for $150.

Hope it helps! :)

Just a quick addition to your 300, 600, 900 list thing Grafficks, 800 is mid-high also, but closer to high.

So the first digit is the series, the second (and 3rd if applicable) digit is the performance level, and the 4th digit is always a 0 ;)

geforce 7900 gs 256mb

Yeah high guys i took your advide and purchased the geforce 7900 gs.

* G71 with 4 locked pipes (making for 20/24)
* 256-bit GeForce 7900 GS (500 MHz clock)
* 256MB 256-bit 1.4ns (8x32) GDDR3 Memory (690MHz clock - 1380 MHz effective)
* PCI Express x16 Compatibility
* Integrated NVIDIA TV Encoder (HDTV, S-Video, & Composite output)
* Dual DVI-I Connectors
* 44.16 GB per second memory bandwidth

One question. I need help adjusting my settings im trying to play around with them but they just dont seem to get how i want them. WHat does anistropic filtering do? 8x or 16x Anistropic mip filter ? Anistropic sample? Anitializing settings 2, ,4 , 8 , off?

You may want to put those as application controlled. that way you can set them in each game to whatever works best.

in your games, max or almost max. In the control panel, I'd set the antistropic and AA to application controlled.

Yeah, best to set AA and AF to application controlled as they wont work 100% well in all games, so best to set it for each game using the games settings.

Thats a nice card as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back