X800 XT motherboard comaptibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently received a brand new in the box X800 XT (AGP). It will not work with my current motherboard, a P4I45Gx_PE (ATX) w/2.66G Celeron processor and 512M of RAM. Can anyone suggest an ATX Socket 478 motherboard upgrade that will work with the X800 and still be able to use my 2.6 Celeron processor?

sounder said:
I just recently received a brand new in the box X800 XT (AGP). It will not work with my current motherboard, a P4I45Gx_PE (ATX)
Since when? That's an Asrock i845 chipset, Socket 478 mainboard with AGP slot. The X800 XT works flawlessly with that board if it's configured properly, has proper power/cooling, correct bios and correct driver installation.

What issues are you running into specifically?

If you have your heart set on a mainboard upgrade, I'd suggest the Asus P4P800 series. The P4P800E-Deluxe is a good unit. You'd want to ensure your memory is in pairs though as these are dual-channel mainboards. Is your 512mb a single stick or two 256mb sticks?

I thought it would work as well, but plugged it in, disabled onboard video as directed in ATI instructions. Loaded te software and got no video output whatsoever. I tried to contact ATI for support to no avail. Thoughts?

Did you connect the power lead to the new card? These X800 series need a power coupler from your power supply in order to boot.

Also, ensure you have it seated snugly and reseat if unsure. You may also wish to try unplugging other cards in case you have one in the PCI slot next to the AGP slot. Most mainboard have "shared resource" AGP + PCI, so the slot next to the agp slot may share resources.

It could also simply be a bad card. If you've covered all the bases, it may just be DOA.

Overall though, your mainboard should work with that videocard with no problems. If you're getting no signal and it's refusing to even power-up.. i'd definately check proper fitment in the slot and the power-feed coupler. This also assumes you have a good, solid, 350-400W power supply or better as well.

The power lead was connected and the fan running. I am using a 400W power supply. I will try the PCI slot suggestion. One thing I noticed when I retried last night was that Windows 2K isn't even reporting the board as being seen in the hardware profile. Thoughts?

Also, I forgot to mention, Micro ATX is the size motherboard I would need

sounder said:
The power lead was connected and the fan running. I am using a 400W power supply. I will try the PCI slot suggestion. One thing I noticed when I retried last night was that Windows 2K isn't even reporting the board as being seen in the hardware profile. Thoughts?

Also, I forgot to mention, Micro ATX is the size motherboard I would need
Okay, now I'm totally lost. How can you get to Windows 2K if there is "no video signal at all" as in your prior post?

Can you detail EXACTLY what you are trying to do? Do you have multiple videocards installed? If you have the X800XT plugged in as the ONLY videocard, power coupler, etc.etc.. does the machine boot-up and can it at least get in the BIOS/setup with the vga cable plugged into the X800XT?

If so, it's a simple issue of drivers/chipset drivers..

Sharkfood: Many thanks for the effort, but I think I have found out what the problem is. The motherboard does not support the AIW X800. I called ASRock, and they told me I had misidentified the motherboard model. It is a P4I45GV R3. This board, while it does support a number of ATI AGP boards, mostly RADEON model, it won't support the AIW X800 and they have no plans on updating the BIOS to do so. So I am back to square one. I'll be looking for a MicroATX board that will support the AIW X800.

I cannot apologize enough for wasting your time and thank you for everything you tried to help me with. It is very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back