Xbox live connectong problem. help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been having problems with my xbox live connection; 360; for a long time now. i bought my 360 a week after this last christmas past.

wired, use automatic IP data. But it always says the IP failed. then when i look at more info it says "Your console was unable to negotiate a lease with your DHCP server. Make sure that addresses are available on your server."

i use a wireless usb linksys adaptor that is connected to a router in another room in my home. i went online to one of those "this is your IP address!" things and they tell me, i put it in, but then it tells me that only the gateway needs to be changed. i read info on how to find out your IP, Gateway, and subnet. but when i do it- it says ".." for gateway. i'm computer stupid and have no clue where to go from here.

can someone help me at all?

..and i realize i mis spelled connection. my bad.

what router do you have? make/model....

i don't have an xbox, but some stuff is similar to a pc. Network basics apply the same for any type of devices trying to connect to the internet (or network). Namely, your xbox needs to have an address within the network to be able to comunicate with other devices, therefore:

-the router needs to be able to comunicate with it (login to the router and see if it can find your xbox, whether its under clients connected/LAN status or something similar)
-the device can access the router (remove any security filtering on your lan connection, like MAC address filtering)
-it must be setup to recieve an IP address automatically (dynamic IP), or be assigned a IP address within your network's range (static IP). Likewise any custom settings should be set to auto or given to the device.

Lastly, since its an xbox, you may need to make sure the router is compatible with it (some aren't, as i've heard) and if it is, there may be a setting to it like "enable XBOX/Game console mode" or similar.

I know that xbox works fine through the Linksys WRT54G Router, I believe xbox gives you the ability to release and renew your IP. I am not familiar with xbox 360 but the regular xbox console will allow you to choose between a Static or Dynamic IP. Verifying that the router is connected to the internet is going to be your first Priority.

well, i have a brother who's a complete *** face (excuse my bad language) and the router is in his room. so i had to take down information from the other side of a door. all i got was that it's a Linksys wireless b broadband router 2.4 GHZ 802.11b

okay so new info has been brought to me about my router.
couldn't get near it and my brother is also a comp-tard and just read off things he saw on the router.
so yeah:
CE0678
389AW11S4B4
PKWBEFW11S4V4

ok.. i think thats just a serial no. or something...

in any case, on your pc, go open i.explorer or something and login to your router. Default settings are:
password: admin

look for something to do with gaming on that router (mine says "applications and gaming") and have a poke around with those settings if you know what you're doing.

You might want to confirm your xbox is connected to your router first by hooking it up, then going to the router under status>local network>DHCP Client list/table (something like that). It should have your xbox's network name and also an ip address corresponding.

if you hunt around enough, you can get the model no. and firmware version for your router. Google it up or check on linksys's website, and confirm its a xbox compatible router, and has the latest firmware etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back