XFX HD 4850 reaching 74C

edison5do

I have and OC Athlon II X3 @ 3.5, an ASUS SILENT SQUARE for cooling it, i have a HDD fan RAM memory fan two 40m back case fans for pull air out.

But the case is that in my case rigth on the side where the VGA sit i have a 80m fan pulling hot air out.... should i put that fan taking in air? or its just my card it going too much hot!?

Heres is the exact model.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-150-482-TS?$S300W$

Is the 74C idle/or under load? because 74c under load is a fine temp.

Under 60% load, im worried because im afraid to play my Battlefield BC2 wich will be 100% load, what temp will the card get after that...

Note: that temp is with the fan working at 75%, should I bump that to 100% ? it will not damage the fan or the card at that speed?

It never hurts to run it as cool as you can, but if it runs at or under 85-90c at full load your okay. the temp range from the manufacturer is 105c (although thats a bit warm for my taste) run furmark for 10 minutes and see where it tops out. if it gets above 90c you might want to consider getting another fan on it. you can bump the fan up to 100% no problem, just set a gaming profile so when you are playing games it runs at 100%, and then backs off to auto when you are not. but the fan running at 100% will not hurt anything...other than your ears maybe :)

Like red said, those temps are no problem. The GTX480 runs at 90c steady, at least. Just keep in mind that the hotter your components run, the shorter life span you can expect from them. So if its not too much trouble to install some more fans and increase airflow and pressure, go for it. It will do nothing but help.

These guys are correct - but I'm like you and get paranoid if my stuff goes above 50c.

Reading over your post I see that you have a total of three fans taking air out. I don't know about that exact model of GPU, but a lot of them have fans drawing air in and across. You might want to rethink your airflow a bit, especially if the case is cramped. I did a budget build for a friend of mine with a Storm Scout and a GTX 260. The case has space for two fans on the side panel, and I turned the bottom one in to blow air into the GPU, and the top one out to pull the hot stuff back away. Doing it this way got it 2-3c cooler under load.

You may have also just outgrown your current case. Think about upgrading to one that can fit more strategically placed fans.

No boubt I´ll go for more air pressure, or maybe custom heatsink for my card, because im planning to get this board http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61m3JpF3nTL._SS500_.jpg and after that another HD 4850 for my battlefield BC2 Crusher... ( I was plannig to sell the card and get another one, but after I saw the "red1776´"
crysis crusher, i felt inspired to crossfire instead)

What do you think?

Note: and you are rigth im plannig to buy a NEW case, that mobo is GA-870A-UD3 and another HD 4850 for Christmas holidays..

As everyone already pointed out your temperatures seem fine. One thing I have to ask though, what are your current ambient room temperatures? Room temperatures vary greatly between different locations and highish temperatures in one location may actually be pretty decent in another. Taking myself as an example, I live in the desert and my GPU temperatures hover around high 40's idle & lower 70's during full load with others in more cooler climates running idle in the high 30's and on full load in the mid 60's with the same card. My room temperatures are also quite high sitting between 29C - 32C (84F - 90F) during the summer months. Luckily with fall being here they've been going down slowly which is slightly noticeably. So remember to factor in those temperatures.

Playing BFBC2 even on hot days with my system & OC has never managed to climb above 76C, it's usually high CPU temperatures that make me nervous with that game :( .

No boubt I´ll go for more air pressure, or maybe custom heatsink for my card, because im planning to get this board http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61m3JpF3nTL._SS500_.jpg and after that another HD 4850 for my battlefield BC2 Crusher... ( I was plannig to sell the card and get another one, but after I saw the "red1776´"
crysis crusher, i felt inspired to crossfire instead)

What do you think?

Note: and you are rigth im plannig to buy a NEW case, that mobo is GA-870A-UD3 and another HD 4850 for Christmas holidays..

Nice choice on the motherboard :grinthumb, as an owner of it I can tell you I am pretty happy. The biggest issue with it however is trying to crossfire cards, I originally planned to run two 4770's on it until I realized how close those SATA ports are to the second PCIe slot. From the picture you can see they run horizontally to the second PCIe slot which in my case is being used and the motherboard is already a bit shorter to begin with.

So just be aware that depending on your 4850's length you might not have enough room if you plan on using those ports. And if you're dead set on crossfiring 4850's I'd recommend a different motherboard that would give you more room. Or you can focus on some newer cards like the GTX 460 or the new Radeon 6xxx when they come out depending on their performance which is what I'm doing.

Nice choice on the motherboard :grinthumb, as an owner of it I can tell you I am pretty happy. The biggest issue with it however is trying to crossfire cards, I originally planned to run two 4770's on it until I realized how close those SATA ports are to the second PCIe slot. From the picture you can see they run horizontally to the second PCIe slot which in my case is being used and the motherboard is already a bit shorter to begin with.

So just be aware that depending on your 4850's length you might not have enough room if you plan on using those ports. And if you're dead set on crossfiring 4850's I'd recommend a different motherboard that would give you more room. Or you can focus on some newer cards like the GTX 460 or the new Radeon 6xxx when they come out depending on their performance which is what I'm doing.

I will think about that due to the facttha I really want to crossfire, but if it is not posible Ill go for sale mine and get another pair of cards, like x2 5750 or 5770, but I will definitely getting that board "best value for my buck" is my class of hardware.

Thanx for all the coment and advices.

NOTE: "Zilpha" I rethink my case airflow, you were damm RIGTH!!

Back