XFX Radeon 4850 Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all

I have just purchased and fitted this Card. The problem is everytime I even try to start a game I get some bizare grren lines on my screen and the system Crashes.

XFX Radeon HD4850 1GB Gddr3
System:

ASUS M3A-H/HDMI- Motherboard
2GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
600w PSU (30amps on the +12V)

Have installed all the latest drivers etc and no joy.

Also tried upping the fan speed and even underclocking the GPU using the Overdrive facility.

Have also done a clean install in case it was driver clashes.

Any help please would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem for a long time with my XFX 4850 512mb and even though I could make it happen slightly less often with some tricks It would still happen. I eventually had to use rivatuner to underclock it down to 550mhz but with more recent drivers I can set it to 600mhz. I have actually sent the card into XFX who found it faulty and sent a new replacement which had the same problem just not quite as bad!

Things that I have found that lessen the problem.

Go into your bios and set the PCIE clock to 100mhz not auto.

Run the games on different settings, if the frame rate is low (yes low!) enough or high enough it won't crash.

Things that I have eliminated in the past.

Heat: I have an accelero s1 rev 2 with 2 120mm fans on it plus the front case fan moving some air towards it as well as zalman copper vram heatsinks and it never passes 40c on gpu and 50c on gpu memory IO.

Power sorta: I have ran the power supply test in occt several times with no crash.

Strain: I have ran furmark, futuremark 03, 06 and vantage, OCCT, heaven benchmark dx10, and the ati tool artifact scanner with no crashes but in certain games such as crysis I still get crashes unless I underclock a lot.

XFX brand: Had an xfx 8600GT that actually overclocked better than some voltmoded 8600GTs and even if it had a display driver crash it would just restart the display driver and in the worst case senario cause the game to crash but I guess that does not rule XFX out with ATI cards, maybe they have some flaw with their 4850 board design, though I have heard of this happening with an MSI card.

DX10: I can run CoH, Assassins creed, DoW 2, and I will try battleforge tonight and see if it crashes.

CPU: I replaced my 5600+x2 with a 720x3 so it’s not just the AMD 5000 series CPUs

Drivers: tried all driver updates and driver sweeper, and I got the 4850 back when 9.3 was new, so it’s not just the latest drivers.

Things eliminated because of your specs.

Motherboard: Not only is mine a different brand and generation, it uses the nForce 570 sli chipset instead of an AMD chipset!

PCI-E 1.0: Your motherboard appears to have 2.0 so it cannot be 1.0.

Maybe VRAM: Mine only has 512mb so I would think it might not be corruption if but I'm not sure.

I would think it would be unlikely that any of this is causing it but do you use any of this software or have any of this hardware, it’s all I can think of that has not changed that might be able to do something.

Networking card: trendnet teg-pcitxr

Sound card: Sound blaster audigy SE

Ram: Do you happen to use Wintec AMPX memory?

Avast!: I doubt that this could be the cause, but I'm not sure.

Spybot Search and Destroy: I doubt that this could be the cause, but I'm not sure.

Ad-Aware: I doubt that this could be the cause, but I'm not sure.

Ccleaner: I doubt that this could be the cause, but I'm not sure.

Riva Tuner

ATI tool

A DVD burner that uses an old PATA cable instead of SATA

Random Info

I will sometimes get a black screen without any green lines instead of the normally line covered one.

I have successfully overclocked memory while underclocking the core without a crash.

I have tried connecting another power connector to the motherboard that the manual said is only necessary for SLI but it made no difference.

I have tried reapplying thermal compound multiple times and I use arctic silver 5.

I get no artifacts unless I push the clock speeds past 750mhz/2400mhz

I can’t think of anything else to say that might help or could be the cause, maybe someone will spot something in this info.

Ignore my awful spelling and grammar, or I shall crush you!

klepto 12 - Yes i do have the 6pin powerr cable in (although did do that once before with an old graphics card!!!).

vegasgmc - how do i update the motherboard drivers ?

1/4 of a hotdog - Wow so much to go through - gonna take a bit of time.
Did load games originally and played for up to 1/2 an hour at a time. Im thinking it maybe faulty as now just doesn't load a game at all-instead just crashes.

Will try and go through some of the things you mentioned though and see what happens.

Cheers

To update your motherboard drivers just go to the link then select your operating system, then at least download the chipset drivers, and try the audio, usb, and lan ones if you have the time.

http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=jT5ubTm7TQJ9JKmE

If nothing works, don't worry XFX has one of the best warranties in existence, as long as you registered your product inside of a month after purchase and even if you didn't they give you a 2 year warranty with the same coverage. When I returned mine they just had me give them the information, try a few things like driver sweeper and driver updates. When those things didn't work they asked if I could try it in another computer and, because I didn't have another that it would fit inside of, they just had me send it in and they tested it themselves, found it faulty and sent a replacement and all it cost me was the shipping fees! Even if they don't find it faulty they will just send it back and I think they still only charge you for shipping but I'm not sure.

They have been pretty good so far going through most of that stuff, So have tried in another PC and still wont work so hopefully they will be able to sort it out now. registered it the day i bought it, for a change.

Bazstar

Any time I see green lines and a driver update doesn't fix it I RMA the card. It's most-likely bad vram.

This may be a silly question but could the problem be with my monitor.
I have an Acer v193w 19" monitor.
I have noticed that i still get sound through the speakers but the monitor goes black and flickers occasionally??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back