XP: Cable Disconnected

Status
Not open for further replies.

swang30

So I had to reinstall windows (XP, SP2) and decided that while I'm at it, I'll reformat the drive that Windows is on. Everything installed fine, but I can't seem to get Windows to recognize that my Lan cable is connected. After I plug the cable in, I see 2 lights on both sides (PC side and router side) which indicates to me that the router thinks a good connection has been made, but windows just doesn't pick it up. I've tried new router ports, with different cables, even took the cable off of my other PC and changed it over to the problem child, nothing, it's either a setup problem or a hardware problem, I'm leaning towards the former.

I'm going to reformat yet again and reinstall tonight when I get home, but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
Jeff

Have you tried internet connections, and setup your LAN connection? Open IE/click on TOOLS menu/INTERNET OPTIONS/CONNECTION tab/click on SETUP button.

Yup, I've got a workgroup, access the Internet through another machine (a firewall/router/dhcp server) and I don't use that 802.1 authentication.

Everything is DHCP, and "get from server" as appropriate.

Jeff

I have windows firewall off. I'll turn the firewall on the router off tonight, but I'm not sure that itwould matter, the same machine that firewalls outside traffic is the same one that serves DHCP to my PCs (on the inside).

My other PC works fine with this setup, for that matter, the problem PC worked fine before I had to reinstall Windows.

thanks
Jeff

Is there a software firewall on the server? If there is, does the new win install computer's IP address have permission?

Sort of. The firewall is currently configured to allow all outgoing connections, deny all incoming connections (exceptions exist) and forward a few ports to the working PC. (none to the problem PC.) I basically configured it like a NAT, because the firewall server is the one that is connected to my ISP. it's got 2 network interfaces, the external one has my "real" IP (which is a DHCP from my ISP), while the internal one serves the LAN DHCP. There is no firewall on the internal side.

Jeff

Well, the only thing that would have changed are the problem computer's LAN settings and NIC card driver. Does the right NIC card show up in the network connection properties?

Good question, a connection does show up (with the cable disconnected sign) but I haven't checked the MAC to make sure that it is the correct one. I just kinda assumed that it is. I'll check that tonight.

thanks
Jeff

Ok, did a total format, and reinstalled. Still no go.

The mac on the card (well, on-board chip) is correct. Firewall was disabled, both internal facing and external. I even took the cable and substituted it in to my working PC, and the working PC connected fine, so I know it's not a problem on the cabling/router side.

I checked my BIOS, and they have a cable detection capability, turned it on, and it detects a cable on all 8 pins, for 4.0m (meters?) So I know that it's (probably) not a hardware fault. It seems like a Windows configuration issue, but I have never seen it before.

Jeff

When you check the working PC Network Connections/ double click/Support Tab what does the IP address say? Should be 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.0 something to that effect? What does the non- working PC's say? Press Repair connection. Also turn on your external firewall Asap.

Make sure the cable you're using is a crossover, I'm pretty sure from the router to ISP modem it's a straight and from the router to a PC it's a crossover. Hopefully you have clear connectors and you can match the wire colors at both ends. Hold the connectors in the same orientation and if its red blue green yellow (example) and the other connector is also red blue green yellow is a striaght. A crossover would be RBGY, then GYRB.

But honestly I'm not 100% sure on the crossover or straight I think it depends on the level of router you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back