XP crashes randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

undiscovered

At random, XP will restart on its own. The computer was built less than 2 years ago and I'm not quite sure if it's a software or hardware issue. AMD 2600+, 1.9 ghz, 512mb RAM, windows XP, radeon 9600 graphics card.

I find the computer crashes when it's put under a heavy workload. For instance, I opened Spy Bot S&D to rule out any infections and within 30 seconds of running the application the computer restarted. This occured back to back just moments ago. Other times I am using WORD or browsing.

I'm currently running AVG anti-spyware and the pc has not yet shut down.

I've also ran HIJACK this and found zero problems within the log.

The power supply is running and is not over heating.

What other possibilities or tests can I do to rule of the issue?

Thanks!

*update*

I ran Spybot S&D again and viewed my CPU under the workload. It maxed out at 100% immediately and shut down within seconds. The RAM was only using 50% of it's capabilities during the process.

Can I suspect it to be my CPU or motherboard? What about HD?

Further testing?

I had a similar problem like that only a few months ago. I thought it was the psu, mobo, and other usual suspects, but it tunerd out to be the power switch/button. ie the button u use to start the system. apparently there was a short. You can try other stuff also maybe your os is corrupt, you can try repairing it with the original installation disc or do a total reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back