XP Emachine

learninmypc

A friend on fb was giving away this XP & so I got it & am trying to reset it to factory settings.
I got into the boot mode area, set it for CD & saved the settings, rebooted but all I get is the cursor blinking continously in the upper left corner. ???? I've done it before, why not now? Is it just because its an emachine??

As you have probably done already,
- confirm it gives POST beep If not plan and execute a bench-top rebuild

If POST
- get manual (download?)
- disconnect HDD
- set BIOS to boot from CD (maybe 2 or even 3 settings)

If boot from CD but loses it on restart
- replace CMOS cell batttery
- re-confirm POST

IMO, that eMachine is like something from the pyramids of Egypt - - have fun, you can learn some things from this exercise, but if you need a computer, buy something with an Intel iCorex instead of that Pentium cpu and that will lead you to a far better OS too.

As you have probably done already,
- confirm it gives POST beep If not plan and execute a bench-top rebuild

If POST
- get manual (download?)
- disconnect HDD
- set BIOS to boot from CD (maybe 2 or even 3 settings)

If boot from CD but loses it on restart
- replace CMOS cell batttery
- re-confirm POST

Ok, yes, it beeps once & then loads up.I did set BIOS I think it was, to boot from CD. I hope I don't have to follow that video :(

So, it passes POST.
Will it boot from HDD? If not, disconnect HDD.

Locate and download manual from eMachines for this model. Review 'setup' for quirks like 'boot other device' and or missing device drivers. Confirm CD is good bootable media, then disconnect HDD and try to boot from CD. Try from USB flash drive.

Ok, I just found this
People also ask

How do I reset my eMachines laptop to factory settings?
As soon as you see the eMachines logo appear on the monitor screen, press the "left-Alt" and "F10" keys simultaneously. Wait a few seconds for the Windows boot screen to appear, then press the "Enter" key. Click the "Restore Operating System toFactory Defaults" option after the eRecovery Management window appears.

In progress. Will hope it works

I don't know your thoughts on WOT but it told me it was a bad site. Also, the program(s) need to be free
WOT? World of Tanks?
Free to consumer - software module you want is "Super Shield".
PC Matic can include some 'fix-em-up" modules and they hype that a bit.
See: https://www.av-test.org/en/antiviru...december-2017/pc-pitstop-pc-matic-3.0-174867/
Operation is a bit odd. Needs to check your software against their 'known good' database - so can take a minute or two more when installing new software. If you try to install something weird, it can say 'no' for now and then later say 'ok'. Supposed to be great at preventing ransomware.

Back