XP Install asks for prior install disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

123walter

When I try to install xp on a NEW computer that has NO prior MSDos type installation(MAC) I am prompted to put in disk from earlier insallatioon? I have a fresh disk, a new winxp 1st time install disk.Iteven says "For people who have NO OS at all or cant upgrade for some reason. It doesnt require a previous version of windows. YET..it hangs up at that dreaded question eachtime. What am I doing wrong?
And dont say. you got a mac.
I have had a dozen ms OS and Linux as well. I am ready to shed those viruses. Be that as it may, I have a brand new Office 2003 that I wanna run, and otherwise I will have to buy it.

It's an upgrade disc
You need the full original disc (Note the full version does not need to be installed - you just put it in the drive when requested, then return to your upgrade disk)

Y'know what..that disk was so shiny i couldnt read the words on it. I thought it still had cello on it, it was all crinkly. My wife assured me (IT manager, what do they know)But you are correct sir. I tried to even insert my Dell install disk, but the APple wouldnt "let go". Since I am the owner of a version of WinXP sp2(albeit on a dell disk for new dells)(Did I answer my own question?) Could I use it?

You need a Windows 95 or newer disk. If your trying to install Xp pro a home disk should work too.

Actually I wasn't sure if he was talking about Office 2003 or Windows OS
But my answer worked for both

You need the full version (of any older version :) )

And more.
You cannot upgrade an academic version, and many OEM versions, as well as a previously upgraded install.
Some disks will not upgrade Windows ME, and some will not upgrade Windows 98 before the Second Edition.

I'm sure I've seen computer upgraded to Windows ME (from 98SE) then upgrade again to Xp (I could be wrong, and I have searched to correct myself either)

Head in Sand#$%^!

Im afraid that I wantedto believe that it would be OK.The booklet that came with the disk actually said "For people wo have no OS", but it was worded oddly, and it was part of a subheading...if this upgrade doesnt work.....type thing. I have a half a dozenDell install(For New Computers not for resale reddish-orange disks) This one was shiny-goldish, and you could barely read the word upgrade on it. Had I seen t I wouldnt have bothered. Actually I wanna get comfortable with MAC but there are a few windows apps I will miss..Cardfile(Yes win3.1 cardfile)and a couple VSO dvd cpying things, and of course I had this virginal Office 2003. Still in the wrap! Mac is fairly tightwaaddy about suites. Where Dell or Gateway will give you half a dozen applications, PSP, Word, MSWorks...for free. Mac teases you with trials of Iworks, MacOffice2008(139+...for home version)Iworks is 79 I think. SO it was a chance to save some money. I did need sp2 though. You have all been very helpful fellas. But one more question..do you think I could get away with installing my Winxp that presently resides on my dimension xps? Will they activate it? Will they arrest me? Will they send me to Gitmo? <g> I mean it is mine..isnt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back