XP install blue screen error

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have never seen this before and so far cant find any information on this error. this is a company computer we bought from dell (dell precision t3400) it came with xp on it and with a vista disk because we wanted to test vista with our system. well i went ahead with the vista install without doing a system state backup. now we are trying to reinstall xp because of some major incomparability issues with vista and i get this error every time;

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it it properly configured and terminated. run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007e (0xf78e2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So after getting this the first time i tried uninstalling vista by putting the vista disk back in and following the install process until it asked what drive i wanted to put it on then i formated and restarted hoping vista would be gone but i still got the same message. so now I'm stuck with an empty hard drive and no way to get xp on it. And putting vista back on is not an option.

I just got a new T3400 and had the exact same issue. The computer came with WinXP Pro 32Bit and I want WinXP Pro 64Bit. The problem is probably that the disc you are using to install Windows does not have the hard disk drivers. I tried my own OS disc at first and received the error you did. When I used the OS disk that Dell included, everything works fine. They must slipstream the hard disk drivers onto their OS install disc.

You can still use your own OS disc though, as I was able to do. Just go to the drivers and downloads part of support.dell.com and choose the T3400. Download the Intel SATA driver and extract the contents to a floppy. Start the setup on the Precision T3400 again and watch at the beginning for it to say press F6 for additional drivers or something like that. About 30 seconds later it should prompt you to specify additional hard drive drivers, insert the floppy and press S. When it gave me a list of drivers to use, I got lucky and picked the top one in the list. All was well after that!

Hope this helps.

i was using the disk that dell included with the computer. i even tried to put a new hard drive in the computer and was still getting the error. vista did something to the computer itself and i cant figure out what. because vista installs just fine. no problems what so ever. but we don't want to run vista on this computer yet. not till we upgrade our virus software because the version we have now is not compatible with vista.

I know this topic is ancient now but this is something i've hit when we first started buying these...

one thing to check is was your SATA disks setup in any type of RAID? if so even though you've destroyed the array by flattening the disks, you need to phyiscally disconnect the second disk and then destroy whatever partition you have remaining, then when windows is installed (using the dell supplied reinstall media) it should be safe to add the second disk and repartition it.

its a bit of a faff on and you may be there a while getting the right combination of disk removal and repartition but once you get it it does work.

it seems the drivers for the sata controller is a bit odd as when adding the drivers to a slipstreamed os install i couldnt get it to install correctly, and these systems dont have floppy drives so i have to use the original os disk too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back