XP Installation/booting help

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sybella1

Hi every one,
I have a problem with windows xp installation:
I need help with installing xp. I'm trying to install xp from a cd but it just keep re-booting from the cd instead of going to the hdd after the installation. The system dosesn't bring up the option to choose where to boot from. I have tried all the bios configurations. The installation completes properly but when it restarts the computer, it re-boots automatically again from the cd without me pressing any key. Please help.

regards, Sybella

Hmmmm, you could just eject the cd and see it it boots from hard drive. Let me know how your boot sequence is set up in your bios and ill see if i can help further.

Most likely it is your boot order. Change it so CD-ROM doesn't boot first. Make sure you safe your changes before exiting the BIOS.

rik said:
Hmmmm, you could just eject the cd and see it it boots from hard drive. Let me know how your boot sequence is set up in your bios and ill see if i can help further.

Rik:

I have tried to eject the cd but it comes up with message: boot disk missing ... insert disk and press any key to continue or something like that.

Boot sequence: i have tried: cd-rom,c,a; cd-rom,a,c; I have tried all the configurations. its either a continuous loop from the cd or boot disk can't be found insert boot disk for any other boot sequence were i don't boot from cd-rom first.

regards.

Molson316 said:
Most likely it is your boot order. Change it so CD-ROM doesn't boot first. Make sure you safe your changes before exiting the BIOS.

Molson: If i change it so that CD-ROM doesn't boot first it generates message: boot disk is missing... insert boot disk and press any key to continueu or something like that.

regards.

Well if thats not working for you, get a boot disk, and boot from that with CD-ROM support, then change to the CD-ROM and run the setup program from there.

Molson316 said:
Well if thats not working for you, get a boot disk, and boot from that with CD-ROM support, then change to the CD-ROM and run the setup program from there.

Molson: Windows XP doesn't come with boot disk do you know where I can get hold of one?

Molson316 said:
Also, make sure the CD you are using is clean, so the CD-ROM can read all the files off it

I will try cleaning the CD and try again. But i need to get hold of the boot disk first as you suggested. I'm going to have a quick look on the net to see if I can make one from there. Thanks alot for your help. If you think of any more ideas plz let me know.
Regards.
sybella

sybella1 said:
Molson: If i change it so that CD-ROM doesn't boot first it generates message: boot disk is missing... insert boot disk and press any key to continueu or something like that.

regards.

Sounds like xp hasnt made your hard drive bootable for some reason. What you need to do to fix this is boot from the cd again and select "recovery console", whent that has loaded, type "fixmbr" then press enter.
Eject the cd and reboot and it should hopefully work.

Let me know if it still doesnt work and we can try a few other things.

Hope that helps. Rik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back