Xp Installation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
Having a huge problem installing windows xp. I recently bought a new pc and am trying to install windows but setup wont let me copy important files thus i cant install windows. I get a msg saying "Cannot copy filename.dll or filename.exe", it gives me an option of skipping the files but setup doesnt complete properly. I changed the ram, hd and dvd rom drive and also trie a few different xp cds but still get same problem. What is the problem here and what can i do to fix.

Any help appreciated thx.

Everytime I get errors like that it comes down to changing CD-ROM or disk. But if you've done both of those then I'm not sure.
I also just retry a bunch of times, it works sometimes.

Try it with just ONE CD-ROM drive and your ONE hard drive. If you haven't already.

Thx for reply Vigilante,
I do only hve one dvd-rom and one hd, ive changed cds, ram, hd and dvd-rom so i really dont know what the prob is.

Have you checked your IDE ribbons? Try replacing them, or simply removing, then reconnecting them.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

You might try reconnecting all of your ribbons and ensuring that the CD is free of scratches, abrasions and other horrific and otherwise bad imperfections on your CD. A skip doc might help, (they're really awesome!). Also, instead of using a DVD drive, which can read CD-Roms, try using a CD-ROM drive only. That could be the problem right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back