Xp is annoying me

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero99

hi ... while browsing your forum ive remembered 2 problems i keep getting with XP on my other drive.
1. when the desktop 1st appears i get 2 baloons .. one is antivirus & the other i cant remember but its annoying & i have to continually close both .. (thats another reason i hate XP) Ive dissabled them.
2. the other thing is .. How do u get the OS to remember the settings ?? ive used the folder options as i do in win98se .. but it doesnt seem to want to remember. Ive set it the same as i do with 98. is there something ive missed ?? Everytime i open a folder it goes FULL screen !! i have to then resize it .. it does this with every folder .. everytime !!! phew !! its hard work.
I cant work this way.
thnx russ

You can always do some registy hack for the balloons that pop up and as for the not remembering the window size I have no clue.

Open my computer and size the window to your liking. Click on the tools menu and select folder options. Click on the view tab and find the "Remember each folders view settings" entry. Make sure it is checked and click apply/ok. Click on the "apply to all folders" button.

If it is already checked, uncheck and recheck it, click apply/ok. Click on the "Apply to all folders" button.

Close my computer. Open my computer again and hopefully the window will appear just as you set it.

Regards Howard :)

If none of the above work,here`s the best of google -

1.Kelly`s korner has a fix for something No.2 HERE

2.Doug Knox has a fix for something HERE

3.a. Size and place the folder how you want it
b. Check the box "Remember each folder's view settings"
c. Afterwards, DON`T change folder settings and DON`T"Apply to all folders"
d. Within the folder, if you explore UP or DOWN to another folder, GO BACK
to to the original folder level before closing the Window.
"This will keep the folder opening how you want it."

4.Another reported fix was to create a new profile.

thanks guys .. only just read your replies so i havnt tried anything yet. I will keep my fingers crossed & boot into xp & have a a good root round those ideas. thnx russ.

to get rid of the balloons (Most likely coming from Windows Security Centre), go to start > run, type in 'msconfig', then go to the 'Services' tab, make sure the 'Hide all Microsoft services' box is UNCHECKED, then go down to 'Security Centre' and uncheck it, click 'apply' then 'ok' and it will ask you to restart. when it retsarts, it will come up with a message, check the box that says 'Do not display this message or launch the System Configuration Utility' then you're done...

I just wanted to say...

Hi'a, I just wanted to say how much I love your title "xp is annoying me"....lol. Seems like that sentence is uttered by every xp user at some time or another.

Also, just a thought about the balloons... Are they actually telling you your anti virus programme needs attention?

Cheers,

Me :)

hey .. well sometimes i could HURL the lot out the window !!!! .. but then .. wot would i do? watch tv? .. ha ha
(ps. i havnt got rnd to checking your all your help yet .. soon)

Yeah a computer that is buggy keeps you more occupied than a computer that is working perfectly. I reckon I would be bored if I owned a computer that actually worked Perfectly!

You should be getting the ballon for windows anti virus, because your using it.
The computer is reminding you to get a better antivirus like BitDefender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back