XP Lockup with network disturbance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined this forum today to get an explanation on why my computer locks up. I thought XPo Pro SP2 was supposed to be better than previous OS's; but it's just like the blue screens where Ctl Alt Del doesn't work, the mouse quits, and the clock freezes at some time.

I have a new Toshiba Tecra M2 laptop and have had this problem from the beginning. The freeze is somehow linked to network connectivity. Any flakeyness can cause the lockup. It mostly occurs during wireless operation and only happens with ethernet connected if the connection is removed and replaced. Sitting in the port replicator, it never locks up.

What is so network sensitive in Windows XP Pro SP2?

Bob

That's strange, I know my laptop would BSOD when I tried connecting to a wireless network that used WPA-TKIP. There was some sort of incompatibility with TKIP, it works fine with AES. It could be something like that.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

have you tried updating the wireless driver for the laptop AND the Access Point/Router?

I don't get a BSOD, the computer just locks up.

I checked the Toshiba website and it said my drivers are all up-to-date.

I've read about power supply problems resulting in lockups, and I've noticed that when I have AC connected, wireless works fine and almost never locks up; but when I'm on battery it can lock up fairly easily. I have the original equipment battery and a spare 8-cell battery and I've seen the lockup with both batteries, so it isn't a weak battery.

I'd hate to send the computer back to Toshiba, I need it; and because it is most likely they wouldn't be able to reproduce the lockup.

Thanks,
Bob

I have the Toshiba MX35-s161 with a Smart Battery rated @ 4300mah.
What's a Smart Battery I asked? Maybe one of http://www.semtech.com/pdf/smartmodf.pdf [edit: webpage deleted :( ]?
If so, then maybe the complexity is leading to your failure??
So far, mine has been rock solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back