Xp Reload

Hello all.
I've gone back to XP professional SP2 from windows 7 on an old Dell USFF because I need to use automotive diagnistic software that uses XP and serial ports.

All went well, XP loaded ok, wireless went on ok, opened up explorer no problems, read the days news, searched for chrome., clicked on and....... cannot display page. Just about every thing you try and open up, cannot display page. A couple of sites did open, one even half opened with cannot display page overlaid.

I'm obviously missing something because the program is so old, but I don't know what.

Could somebody help me please.
Andy.

You are missing 10 years of developments.

IMHO running XP on a system which you do NOT connect to the internet is fine. Using the internet is not wise - too many exploits - too little protection - new software is not developed with the old OS in mind. You also risk the system becoming a vector to other computers on your local network. Be satisfied if you can get your auto diagnostics to run. Support it indirectly, using a modern OS machine and a flash drive to get drivers, etc.

I understand what your saying, and the program, which is the only program on the machine runs fine. But I also need to run teamviewer.

When interrogating an electronic gearbox it is often helpful to have somone else see the streaming data live, these are complex devices, along with the the other 18 systems on my 17 year old car.

I appreciate there's a fair amount of trust involved, but that's the way it's been for years.
Andy.

Arudge are you talking about carsoft by any chance? because I have a problem with that software.

Just wondering, have you tried to install the SP 3 ? That might help some.

Hello Tom.
Yes it is Carsoft, the V12 multiplex. I got XP working properly and the program worked fine on SP2, it was Teamviewer that needed SP3.

I couldn't get into the transmission for Love nor money, ans at least 4 other systems were unresponsive.

I managed to find another vehicle of similar age and we got into his transmission ok. But stuff I could get into on mine we couldn't get into on his.

So the only conclusion is the Can Bus system is iffy, the software is good.

The car is 17 years old, the Can Bus runs on very low voltages, the connectors look good but the slightest tarnish causes problems, so there's plenty for me to do yet. Oh joy.

I'm still reseaching the subject. I still don't know what the gateway module is nor where to find it. When I do, we start there.

Thanks for your interest.

I got the carsoft program over a year ago and it never worked from the beginning. I contacted them and I have a book on the conversations I had with them. I even wiped the HD and installed win 7 because of the problems, it just made the problems worse! there support is terrible, and now I wiped the HD again to put XP back on and I can't find the registration KEY LOL did you try to install service pac#3? if xp is working you can add sp3 to it. I have a copy if you need it. Good luck. I will PM you with my email so that I can get the file to you. Tom

Hello Tom.
As I said above, ive got the carsoft program working on XP ok, and I have XP sp3. The problem is that the program won't talk to my car properly.

What problems did you have?

Back