XP stuck on loading screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gotten infected with malware/spyware so I decided to repair windows. The whole process goes along fine until I get to the black screen that has Windows XP Please wait.
It has done this twice and I have let it sit there for over 6 hours and when I restart it, only the screen resolution has changed, the malware has not been deleted.
What are the possible problems/solutions I am at a complete loss.

XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

You probably should have turned off "System Restore" if it was a serious malware.
Can you get into Safemode?
Have you tried booting to your XP CD and running a repair, or even better use Fred Langa's procedure from information week at:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897
You'll need your XP CD and you need to follow the directions to the "T".

Thanks Fred, used this successfully many times.

"You probably should have turned off "System Restore" if it was a serious malware"...

Finally someone else, who agrees with me on this :wave: Those "pesky" know-it-all sofware guys don't believe us

Finally someone else, who agrees with me on this

Speaking for me, it's not that I don't believe you, I just want to know how the system starts if you guys claim the PC accesses the system restore directory on start-up.:suspiciou If system restore is disabled, there is no system restore directory to boot from, and the PC theoretically doesn't start...:confused:

There are instances where restore points are "infected" and they are responsible for reinfecting a PC over and over again. This action makes one wonder just what you asked "I just want to know how the system starts if you guys claim the PC accesses the system restore directory on start-up"... Some say restore points are not accessed on startup, but I think certain data is accessed from a restore point upon starting a Windows computer... it has to be. I have witnessed reinfection over and over until I turned off SR and rescanned a PC. Once cleaned, I turn SR back on

You still haven't got it Tmagic! Just because someone else has it wrong doesn't make it right!

Vudy, there is not enough information to guide you. But you do illustrate a point: it is better to troubleshoot to clean malware than it is to throw in the towel and repair!

Although there are limited infections, like Virut, where a reformat/reinstall is suggested right up front, most malware can be cleaned with the help of someone who has been trained in malware cleaning.

Unfortunately, TechSpot does not have any trained helpers temporarily.

Bobbye,
I knew you would chime in on this. It really is too bad that you have time to complain, but no time to help. Why is it that I have turned off System Restore and scanned systems using the 8-Step Removal instructions, finding that some Malware returns over and over until I turn off SR and rescan? Why is this? You have never answered this question...

It really is too bad that you have time to complain, but no time to help

I cannot help right now because I realized I needed more in depth knowledge for malware cleaning. Some people post here and don't have a clue what is involved in a good cleaning. Others realize their limitations and make the attempt to educated themselves. While doing this, we are not allowed to help out with malware cleaning.

I've been helping out here for 3 years. Much of the malware now requires specific programs and guidance to get rid of it.

As for the System Restore issue, that has been more than amply covered. Go back and read the posts.

I recommend turning off System Restore before attempting any serious Virus or other malware cleaning... You say NO to doing this. Some stubborn malware keeps coming back until System Restore is turned off. Why does this happen... Is it just coincidence?

Some stubborn malware keeps coming back until System Restore is turned off. Why does this happen... Is it just coincidence?

Not coincidence- more likely that all of the malware has not been removed.

IF malware has been otherwise removed from the system but is still in the restore points, it cannot reinfect the system UNLESS the restore point from that date is chosen.

IF the malware is still on the system AND also in the restore points, it is the malware in the system causing the infection. So IF you boot the computer and an infection shows, it is either malware still on the system or new malware.

System Restore by the very nature of the word "restores" the system to a previous date. The system will not do that on it's own. The user has to request the restore for particular date- OR- use the Last Known Good Configuration through Safe Mode.

A user might "think" all of the malware has been removed from a system- it happens here- user will now be able to connect to internet or use function or feature they couldn't previously use, so they "assume" all of the malware if gone.

IF the malware has gotten into the restore points and the old restore points weren't removed at the end of cleaning and the user then calls up a date that was infected, the user will then "reinfect" the system. The restore point cannot do this "UNLESS" the user restores to that date.

Some stubborn malware keeps coming back until System Restore is turned off. Why does this happen... Is it just coincidence?

I don't know, but when I see 2 knowledgeable people arguing about this topic, it really makes me wonder who's right.
Maybe it is coincidence? Hopefully, sometime, somewhere, I can get an answer to this.

The only reason this discussions has continued is because someone who is not trained to clean malware is replying to a post telling users to turn off the System Restore to fix the malware.

2 knowledgeable people

Sometimes, assumptions are made.

Every time a major Windows Update or system driver is installed, a restore point is created. Can you imagine how many restore points are created over time? I have not used Windows Restore Points since the early days of Windows XP. Back then, it was "hit or miss" if the restore point installed or even worked at all... Keep your important data backed up, and hope you never have to use or implement a System Restore. I will turn off System Restore deleting all restore points saved to that time and create a "new" restore point periodically

Right Bobbye, and I know that you're trained, and I know you're good at it.
As far as I understand, when cleaning viruses, the restore/system volume directory can't be accessed (or should I say "modified" which is bypassed by starting in safe mode-then those directories will clean.
Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back