XP update not installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambcohen

I have a client that reformatted their computer. He and his wife called us out there, because they could not get an update installed. Spending 30min to an hour I had not such luck...so I told them I would get back with them. The error code is as follows "0x8007F013". I know what it means, but I can not find a fix. Does anyone know a workaround.
I think when they reformatted they might have ran into some issues or they might have just done a repair?

Thanks
Adam

Confirm the "update" that is not installing
Download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
Remove the same one that reports it is already installed (which is actually corrupt)
Restart
Re-install the "update" from MS again

By the way, the more info the better (for you!)

What update? (Adobe :) )
What Windows? (Server 2008 :) )
Are all Service Packs done? (98 SP1 :) )

If a user has formatted their computer, they should do the following in order
Install Windows
Install all chipsets
Install all (computer) drivers (from Manufactures website)
Install all Service Packs (Xp is up to SP3 now)
Install all extra Security Updates (from MS)
Optimize
At last install 3rd party programs (usually the first is AntiVirus)
This list can get quite big!

That's what a tech would do.

Edit:

Oh I just read the title, it's Xp something

xp

It is xp that is trying to update and I had one my tech out there. I want to say it is service pack2.
After reading your post, I should be able to remove whatever it has downloaded correct?

Adam

Yes, especially MS updates (whatever the exact one that is faulty is)

But personnally I'd just start again, other wise you are dealing with whatever they did (Not a good idea, after day 3, when they say, oh yeah I forgot to tell you...)

xp

I want to make sure I am understanding correctly. When you say start again are you say to reformat? If not are you just referring to removing the updates.

Adam

I have a client that reformatted their computer...or they might have just done a repair?
Backup
Format
Install Windows

That way, you won't be called out again for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back