XP wont boot after power failure - reads: "unmountable_boot_volume"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I was suspicous that my laptop had a virus due to alot of hard disk activity on its own so I turned it off (and removed battery). I ran Nortons anti-virus (CD boot) and it seems clean. Now I'm wondering if Windows was doing an auto-update (without prompting me) and I killed it in the middle?

Possibly damaged the boot partition as now it wont boot up and the message reads:

Unmountable_boot_volume

Technical= STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8128EA68, 0xc000009c, etc)

It doesnt have a floppy drive but I have a USB memory stick. Is it possible to make a boot from this and then run some partition fix tool?

Any HELP much appreciated.

cheers
Kiwi-in-sweden

Give us more information about the computer, and can you get into safe mode?

If you can get into safe mode with command prompt, try to either:

use fixboot
use chkdsk
use FIXMBR

and if you have a CD drive try to boot from windows disc and get into the screen past the F8 EULA, and where it shows your windows partition and press R to repair it and see what happens. good luck

Still no joy

Hi - thanks for responding. I tried chkdsk and it only got 75% way through before stating there were problems. Have made a CD bootable disk and can get into C: drive at least. Just learning all about this - seem to be the MBR is damaged. Whats the best tool that could check the disk and tell me what is damaged? Computer is an HP laptop (dont have it with me for model) running XP Home, SP1 edition.

I dont mind paying for a tool if necessary but dont want to waste money on the wrong one. Anyone ?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back