Year 10 Project- Building a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristo

Hey guys sum guy made a computer for 64 AUD at my skool and it was powerful 1GB Video memory via 2 Video Cards etc. etc. he bought all these parts off Ebay so I was wondering if it could b possible 2 do the same....
If not i was wondering where i can find Cheap but gd parts 4 a computer....i tried that Newegg place it looks gd but where else can i find cheap gd parts?
i was thinking a budget around $700.....

700 dollars huh, just not possible, my video card has more than 700mb of memory and it cost me 750 usd by itself.

This is a forum. You have plenty of time to type. You can type out "some," it is only one letter longer, and "good" is not difficult either. No one is rushing you.

And I don't think $700 is going to do it for recent games. Around $1000 can build a fairly competent computer, and $300 can make the difference between a graphics card you'll be using for some time and a graphics card you'll just be using until you can afford a new one.

Also, newegg is probably as good as you'll find, other than sales at other sites and stores.

If you updrade you budget the foresaid budget then you will be well off. You wat to have money for games after u build ur PC...A good GPU makes the difference in gaming ad decent RAM.

Im getting into this rig Biz and mine is coming out ok.

New egg is basically the preferred store of enthusiasts.

AUD? If you are from Australia, Newegg doesn't ship to addresses outside the USA. Sorry, you'll have to find another site from which to buy.

Yeah whoops didnt c tht! n i think i will my dad wont really care about budget, i think we'll just go look around

Kristo if you are from Oz then check out http://www.msy.com.au They are very good with their PC system and parts prices. I use them for all my PC and Network purchases and have never had any problems with their after sales service. We also purchase the PCs and network gear for the seniors centre where I am a volunteer teacher of PC usage to over 55 year olds.

BTW, you can still use the Newegg site for research and comparison purposes. The customer reviews can help make selections and the site's organization, selection and hardware technical data are excellent.

yeah we hav MSY here in Adelaide i was thinking of goin there my friend said to me 2day about the cheap price so i mite go there and buy parts

Check out MSY's prices on their web site so you know what you are up for before you go there. We have 2 stores here in SE Qld and they are very busy because of their great prices and range of product.

HAHA Cheap and Gd enuff 4 me but i just need help with somethings......

-The Processor
There is either a Intel Celeron D- D347- 3.0 Ghz $54
Or the Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo- E2140/ E2160 $81/$95
I dunno which is better my friend says the Core 2 Duo is better but i think no becasue it is only like 1.8ghz.

-Difference Between Crossover and normal Ethernet Cables

-Do cases come with the USB slots,MC Readers etc. etc.

-Do i need to purchase a sound card or duz the Motherbaord already have all the necessities?

And what other parts do i need apart frm these and which of the below dnt i need?

-Parts im purchasing are:

ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 All In One $65
2GB KIT-667(2X1GB) KINGSTON DDR2 $66
320GB-16M OR 250GB HDD MAXTOR SATA: 250= $74....320= 89
512MB 8500GT ASUS PCI EXPRESS $102
SATA 20X AOPEN DVD-RW
1200W 2.1 SPEAKERS $12............SIMPLE BUT MEH
5.1 3D PCI SOUND CARD $19
REALTEK 10/100/1000 NIC NETWORK CARD $12
LOGITECH DESKTOP 250 KEYBOARD+ MOUSE $15

I DNT KNOW ABOUT THE CASE,COOLING AND POWERSUPPLY SO I WILL NEED HELP...........

THANX

Where are your prices from Rage_3K_Moiz?
Kristo lives in Australia and is looking at prices from local supplier with no shipping costs.
I think Kristo's list is good and will provide more feedback when I have had time to review components.

If you checked the links, you'd see they were from Australian retailers. Also, his list does not provide as much performance for the price.

I had checked the links and knew they were all Aussie suppliers. Unfortunately they are not in same city as Kristo and parts are from different suppliers. This leads to 2 problems -
1. On the only site where I could directly obtain a delivery cost, it was going to be A$20 which is 1/4 of the cost of the item. This adds up for all items and would be more from a city further away.
2. If there is a problem with the PC then it is easier to deal with one supplier than several. I found that each supplier tends to blame part supplied by another for the problem. This leads to a 'merry-go-round' with no result for the customer. These are high school students with minimal PC knowledge so it will not be possible for them the make a definite technical analyses of the problem and determine where the fault lies.

Dealing with a local national supplier overcomes above 2 issues.

So there are different suppliers for different regions of Australia? I never knew that. Aren't there any PC shop chains around, like Circuit City or any Australia-wide sites like Newegg is for the US?

We do have '**** Smith Electronics' (similar to Radio Shack in USA) but they are owned by large store chain (Woolworths) and aren't the cheapest. MSY is nearest to a national computer chain. I deal with them in Brisbane which is 2000+ miles away from Adelaide. While Australia is nearly as big as mainland USA we don't have anywhere near population to support any big national PC only store chains. I was impressed by some of the PC shops in USA when I was there earlier in the year but when I worked out costs and exchange rates, it was cheaper for me to buy back in Australia. I did find consumables for PCs and peripherals to be considerably cheaper.

Kristo, that motherboard you listed already has an integrated LAN card, granted it is not Gigabit ethernet capable but unless the rest of your network setup is Gigabit capable it will be of no use for you.

Kristo, as Didou that motherboard has an integrated LAN card and also integrated Sound card and video so there is no need for you to purchase -
512MB 8500GT ASUS PCI EXPRESS $102 (although purchasing this would give you better graphics capability especially if you can turn off integrated video in PC BIOS)
You will still need to purchase speakers or headphones for listening to audio output.

Yeah okay thanx guys so i reckon i will go for a 8600GT 512mb. Wat do u think? BTW are the generic branded ones gd or bad? i would like 2 know other wise i shall put more to get the Giagbyte one....And btw thanx 2 u all for helping me out!

i dnt realy need a LCD Screen Yet i hav 2 Acer 19" Screens One,Widescreen One normal for two already used computers so i think i mite just use a CRT for now i have one frm a older Acer Computer so yeah....And btw wat is the difference between Cat5 Crossover Ethernet cables and the normal Ethernet? do u get faster speeds? I hav a ADSL+2 Modem and ADSL+2 Connection so which would b faster? Thing is i would like cable instead of wireless because i want to set it up without having someone doin all that wireless security **** with the WPA2 protection etc etc

You will need to use a normal Cat 5 cable to connect PC to your ADSL+2 modem. Cat 5 crossover cables are only used when you want to connect 2 PCs together via their LAN cards. The speed of your connection is not determined by Cat 5 cable (crossover or normal). The speed is determined by LAN card (if you have a local network - number of PCs connected by switch) or if single PC then by speed of ADSL+2 connection.

-The Processor
go for the c2d

-Difference Between Crossover and normal Ethernet Cables
this has been explained by gazzaoz - normal ethernet cables are for connecting to a modem/router etc and a crossover cable is for connecting two pc's together directly

-Do cases come with the USB slots,MC Readers
some cases will come with built in usb ports that you wire up to the motherboard, almost all cases will not come with media card readers, you will have to buy this separately

-Do i need to purchase a sound card or duz the Motherbaord already have all the necessities?
all motherboards come with integrated sound

ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 All In One $65
2GB KIT-667(2X1GB) KINGSTON DDR2 $66
320GB-16M OR 250GB HDD MAXTOR SATA: 250= $74....320= 89
512MB 8500GT ASUS PCI EXPRESS $102
SATA 20X AOPEN DVD-RW
1200W 2.1 SPEAKERS $12............SIMPLE BUT MEH
LOGITECH DESKTOP 250 KEYBOARD+ MOUSE $15

as already said, you will not need the network card and the sound card, not if you're using 2.1 speakers

I don't know about the case, cooling and power supply
cases are fairly simple - just get one that you like the look of and will hold all of your hardware - cooling just involves getting a couple of fans and putting them in the front/back of your case so it's fairly easy. power supply is where it gets a bit harder, go to this website, put in your specification and see what it tells you, then tell us and we can advise you on what power supply to get

p.s. please type in full english if you can, it makes it a lot easier to read and there isn't really a need for you to abbreviate every other word in a computer forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back