You can now play the first level of Wolfenstein II for free

midian182

Staff member

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus has received mostly great reviews since it launched almost a month ago, but if you’re still not sure about spending your cash on it, Steam has an offer that’s hard to refuse. Not only is the game half price right now, but you can also play the entire first level for free.

The first-person shooter that once again puts you in the boots of B.J. Blazkowicz was loved by the overwhelming majority of critics, with some suggesting it could be a Game of the Year contender. Over on Steam, where it’s got a surprising ‘mixed’ rating, Wolfenstein II is currently available at 50 percent off the normal price as part of the Black Friday sales, bringing it down to a bargain $29.99.

If those Steam reviews are making you hesitant to buy the game, then why not take advantage of the free trial, which is also available on the PlayStation Store and the Xbox Games Store.

Those that download the free first level and like it so much that they decide to buy the full game, the good news is that all progress will be carried over.

Anyone who pre-ordered the game or bought Wolfenstein 2's season pass can play its first DLC pack—Episode Zero—right now. The next downloadable piece of content, called The Adventures of Gunslinger Joe, arrives on December 14 and sees players take on the role of former quarterback Joseph Stallion, who "smash[es] through Nazi hordes from the ruins of Chicago to the vastness of space.”

Despite the critical acclaim, Wolfenstein 2 was one of two Bethesda Softworks games, the other being The Evil Within 2, that failed to break into the top 10 best-selling games list last month, which could spell more bad news for single-player titles. It might also be the reason behind this new promotion.

Permalink to story.

Well, after reading this and watching the video, I'm going to "pull the trigger' LOL (and buy it)
looks like lots of fun

Well, after reading this and watching the video, I'm going to "pull the trigger' LOL (and buy it)
looks like lots of fun
I have not played the recent wolfenstein games, but back in the day, LOL, I played the original. It was a lot of fun.

If this is like those games, pushing on random walls revealed hidden stuff, sometimes weapons, sometimes rooms, etc. I suggest you try that while playing if you pull the trigger. LOL It could be they kept the spirit of the original games and the "loot boxes", I.e., the hidden stuff, is free, in game.

Oh yeah, got lots of Nazi's to kill now...I also enjoyed the original (loaded on 5" floppy I believe). It looks like they have them on Steam for like a few dollars. I bought the last 3, Old Blood, New Order and the Wolfstein II: New Colossus. Having a coffee and then it's time to fire it up!

I have been numb to video game violence for years now but the brutality of some scenes in this really makes my jaw drop. It had a heavy impact on me. None too subtle social commentary.

I have been numb to video game violence for years now but the brutality of some scenes in this really makes my jaw drop. It had a heavy impact on me. None too subtle social commentary.
You expected social subtlety from the creators of DOOM? In a game about killing nazis? And apparently, if this is shocking to you, you have not played a violent video game in the past 10 years or so.

How deep is that rock you were under?

looks like lots of fun
I have not played the recent wolfenstein games, but back in the day, LOL, I played the original. It was a lot of fun.

If this is like those games, pushing on random walls revealed hidden stuff, sometimes weapons, sometimes rooms, etc. I suggest you try that while playing if you pull the trigger. LOL It could be they kept the spirit of the original games and the "loot boxes", I.e., the hidden stuff, is free, in game.

I've played Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014) and IMO it's one of the best shooters of all times. It has a strong scenario with dramatic moments and full of adrenaline "kill-em-all" parts.

For some reason I've switched home box to Linux so can't play Wolfenstein anymore :(
May be it's time to make small Win partition to play New Colossus :)

You expected social subtlety from the creators of DOOM? In a game about killing nazis? And apparently, if this is shocking to you, you have not played a violent video game in the past 10 years or so.

How deep is that rock you were under?

I didn't expect subtlety, that isn't what was said. Apparently the punctuation was lost on you.

Some scenes such as executing prisoners as terrorists gratuitously for the mass media struck home with me is all. Whether entirely intentioned or not the game has plenty to say if you stop splattering Nazis for a few seconds to think on it. You should try it.

looks like lots of fun

I've played Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014) and IMO it's one of the best shooters of all times. It has a strong scenario with dramatic moments and full of adrenaline "kill-em-all" parts.

For some reason I've switched home box to Linux so can't play Wolfenstein anymore :(
May be it's time to make small Win partition to play New Colossus :)
Try this on your linux box. I have not done so on linux myself - I have run this on Windows, and it tends (on Windows anyway) to work well enough to run games like Wolfenstein. https://www.dosbox.com/

Downloaded DEMO, played it! Um Bummer! Although I really enjoyed "the New Order" ...New Colossus has the exact same graphics! Huh, really??? 3 years later, no updated graphics? Can definitely see why Steam is selling it now for half price!

Played for about 20 minutes, deleted it! Also, took it off my wishlist! Done!

Back