1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

You can play this amazing fan remake of the first level from Star Wars: Dark Forces

By Shawn Knight · 11 replies
Mar 18, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. It’s been a little over a year since Jason Lewis, senior environment artist at Obsidian Entertainment, shared screenshots highlighting the progress made towards a remake of level one of Star Wars: Dark Forces.

Fast-forward more than a year later and YouTuber Bluedrake42 has managed to get his hands on a playable demo of the project. Titled Star Wars Docking Bay 94 Mos Eisley, the demo was built in Unreal Engine 4 and looks rather incredible, especially considering it was done in someone’s spare time.

There are no enemies or objectives in the demo but don’t let that discourage you; there’s plenty to explore and marvel over. The bigger the Star Wars geek you are, the more time you’ll likely spend combing over the environment. Yeah, it’s that good.

While Lewis is quick to point out in the disclaimer that this is in no way related to Star Wars, it does give you an idea of what a modern Dark Forces remake could look like if given the right amount of attention.

I’m personally curious as to the age of the demo. The aforementioned disclaimer that loads at the beginning of the demo references some older graphics cards including the GTX 760, GTX 970 and GTX 980 Ti.

Permalink to story.

2. gamerdood

gamerdood TS Member Posts: 16   +15

Download is hosed... Google Drive fail, says it can't be downloaded because too many people have downloaded it in a 24 hour period

3. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,539   +1,914

I would not be surprised if the dark side possesses Disney and they :poop: all over this...

4. arrowflash

arrowflash TS Rookie Posts: 21   +12

Very interesting, but I think someone should point out that claiming this is a remake of Dark Force's first level is totally innacurate (not Shawn Knight's fault since everyone around the web is claiming that's what it is). In the original game the first level is set in an Imperial outpost in some dark unhospitable planet (with a landscape similar to LV-426 from Aliens), and not only that, but if my memory is correct we don't ever visit Mos Esley on the first Dark Forces.
    If that's supposed to be the first level you could call it a modern retelling / reinterpretation of the original game of course (like Doom 2016), but not a remake.

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,264   +518

Try copying it to your google drive - worked fine that way for me

Julio Franco and Polycount like this.
  6. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Guru Posts: 802   +552

If you stick to the established models presented in the Star Wars trilogy, you can easily build a great looking Star Wars game, give in Star Wars music and have a grand product that does nothing new or edgy.

7. Polycount

Polycount TS Evangelist Posts: 1,542   +348

Yep, this is the best way to get around those restrictions.

8. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 1,664   +750

VR version would be sweet...

9. Mr Majestyk

Mr Majestyk TS Booster Posts: 102   +67

OMG, I loved Dark Forces. WHy the hell have there been no single player Star Wars games for so long. I'd love to see a full blown remake with UE4 and ray-tracing.

10. Sergey Novikov

Sergey Novikov TS Member

I remember the original game. It was very cool.

11. wontolla

wontolla TS Rookie

Pretty impressive!!.

12. Hellbishop

Hellbishop TS Rookie Posts: 20   +10

Awesome. Brings back memories of 1990s gaming on my 486/DX 33. Reminds me of last year's fan mod of the demo of the canceled Silent Hills PT game called UNREAL PT by RadiusGordello.