YouTube Music will come preinstalled on all new Android 10 devices

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Google is looking to replace Google Play Music with YouTube Music, which will come bundled with new Android devices. There are currently over 2 billion monthly YouTube users, and the company wants to convert as many of them as it can into paying subscribers.

As part of their licensing agreement with Google, many Android phone makers are required to preinstall a number of first-party apps. Now they'll have to bundle YouTube Music with every new Android 10 device. This will also apply to new smartphones that will ship with Android 9, as well as Google's Pixel series.

There are two key reasons for the move. The first involves the need to replace Google Play Music, which has been the default music app on Android for years. It's worth noting that Google isn't pulling the plug just yet, as YouTube Music isn't quite there for many people who wish to migrate their libraries over to the new service.

The bigger reason is that Google has been having a hard time penetrating the already crowded music streaming market. Apple and Spotify dominate the space with 60 and 108 million paying subscribers, respectively. Many of you are likely familiar with Google's aggressive campaign for YouTube Music that promotes the benefits of subscribing, but that hasn't brought that many users on board.

A Bloomberg report puts YouTube Music at a little over 15 million subscribers, if you also count Play Music -- since being subscribed to one means you also have access to the other. Google wants to capitalize on 2 billion people that use YouTube every month, but also doesn't have any standout features -- it even copied the Discover Weekly feature from Spotify.

Still, the company is determined to take a page from Apple's book and preload Android smartphones with YouTube Music in the hope that it will emulate the success of Apple Music. Google tried something similar in 2017 when it partnered with Samsung to preload Play Music on Galaxy smartphones and tablets. Whether or not it can achieve better results with YouTube Music, only time will tell.

Permalink to story.

That's the music service I use because I pay YouTube Premium. I pay a basic data plan and with the price difference from what I used to pay, I pay that subscription; that allows me to watch way more videos on the go (having them downloaded) than what I used to be able to watch with a higher data cap.

I pay £10 a month for Google music and I get YouTube music with it, I think that's a fair price :)

That's the music service I use because I pay YouTube Premium. I pay a basic data plan and with the price difference from what I used to pay, I pay that subscription; that allows me to watch way more videos on the go (having them downloaded) than what I used to be able to watch with a higher data cap.
>Paying $7 a month to use youtube instead of a free adblocker and free youtube downloader.

Do you just hate money?

>Paying $7 a month to use youtube instead of a free adblocker and free youtube downloader.

Do you just hate money?

Does an ad blocker also provide you with music streaming? Personally I pay for the family plan, €17/m, no YouTube ads on any device for my family and music streaming that works seamlessly with Google Home. Well worth it.

Not to mention, that without the ads that you block, sites like the one you are using right now wouldn't exist.

Well, at least it replaces Google Play Music which was AAAAABSOLUTE trash and I can't stress it enough how garbage that thing is.

Do you just hate money?
I said it is because I download the videos instead of streaming them. I never said it was because of ads.

My previous data plan with 5 GB cap costed me USD $15 a month with [mexican] AT&T. I migrated to a more expensive local company with way better coverage and service, and now I get 1 GB for USD $10 a month, I pay the additional $4.5 YouTube Premium and keep paying the same as before.
I have the "watch later" playlist synced as an offline playlist, so everything I'm interested in watching in either the PC or phone, gets downloaded [through WiFi] to watch in my commutes. There is no mobile data plan that allows me to watch almost two hours (commute time) of YouTube content daily.

I said it is because I download the videos instead of streaming them. I never said it was because of ads.

My previous data plan with 5 GB cap costed me USD $15 a month with [mexican] AT&T. I migrated to a more expensive local company with way better coverage and service, and now I get 1 GB for USD $10 a month, I pay the additional $4.5 YouTube Premium and keep paying the same as before.
I have the "watch later" playlist synced as an offline playlist, so everything I'm interested in watching in either the PC or phone, gets downloaded [through WiFi] to watch in my commutes. There is no mobile data plan that allows me to watch almost two hours (commute time) of YouTube content daily.

Jesus that's expensive. I pay €10/m for 100GB in France.

Yes, it's expensive here, but it is what it is. The cheapest you can go for a full month of service and 200/500 MB of data, with decent service quality, is the equivalent of USD $7; probably $2 less with Virgin Mobile [that has the reputation of cheap and horrible service].
So I'm paying for the second lowest month-long tier from the largest local company (Telcel).

That's pretty good. Some of the better options in Ireland are "unlimited" data for up to 30 euro per month, where unlimited means you may be throttled after 80 GB. But Ireland has never had the most affordable plans in Europe :)

On the topic of music, I don't personally care as I rarely even use free Spotify. Either I'm at an age where I think all modern music is crap, or all modern music IS crap. Either way, I'm not paying for it. I have plenty of older CDs converted to mp3 or just listen to generic music on the online radio stations.

Well, at least it replaces Google Play Music which was AAAAABSOLUTE trash and I can't stress it enough how garbage that thing is.

How so? I have to say I've liked it. It's got pretty good at recommending me new stuff. I don't understand why they didn't just rebrand Google Play Music and take it from there.

Back