YouTube TV receives a hefty $15 price hike

Polycount

Staff
In context: Online video streaming platforms like YouTube TV are a compelling alternative to traditional cable TV services for cord-cutters. Such platforms tend to be cheaper and more convenient while lacking any sort of long-term contracts.

Unfortunately, YouTube TV has arguably seen its value proposition drop over time. The Google-owned platform launched at just $35/month in 2017, but over the past 3 years, its price has crept up to $50.

Now, YouTube TV has seen yet another price hike, and a substantial one at that. New subscribers will need to pay $65/month to access the platform, whereas existing subscribers will be charged that fee starting on July 30. This cost increase arrives alongside eight new channels from ViacomCBS, including CMT, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, and others.

YouTube justifies the increased price by pointing toward the "rising cost of content" and the "complete value" of the platform. YouTube claims that the new $65 fee will help it provide the "best possible service and content" to subscribers, though we're sure some users will argue that the previous level of service and content was just fine at $50/month.

In total, YouTube TV now offers customers more than 85 on-demand channels in its base plan, with premium add-ons like HBO Max and Cinemax available for an additional fee.

Naturally, YouTube TV's subscribers aren't exactly pleased with this news -- they feel they shouldn't have to pay more for extra channels they don't have an interest in. Some have even called for an "a la carte" plan where they can choose the channels they want and pay a lower price.

This is something several of YouTube TV's competitors, such as Sling TV, already offer, but it remains to be seen whether or not Google's service will follow suit.

Image credit: Optura Design

Permalink to story.

I mean, if I felt like paying for cable(haven't had it in roughly 10 years) I'd give my money to google because it costs about the same as what I would pay for comcast but I wouldn't be giving my money to comcast.

amazon prime, hulu and youtube cover all my content needs. If I want to see a sports game THAT I JUST HAVE TO SEE, I just go to a bar. I really only watch Hockey and (American)Football during the playoffs anyway.

Uh, I'm not a utub subscriber, but if I was, I would no longer be one after this hike.

Honestly, I could care less that they added channels. I would not watch them anyway. I have better things to do.

Hulu (the commercial level without Di$ney+) and Netflix are my streaming choices. There's OTA for pretty much all the rest that I care about, and free utub if I need to watch a video on how to fix my car.

It will be interesting to see where their subscriber levels go after this - assuming they change.

Last edited:
Ive always thought YT TV was ludicrously overpriced at $35 a month. This was when Netflix was $8 a month. Like how much media do you NEED?

Now its $65 a month. That is literally insane. I can get basic cable packages for less, not that I watch TV anymore, but still. You can get netflix, hulu, disney+, and HBO for less then that.

$780 a year is also a hefty principal only extra payment on your house or car loan. WAY too much for TV.

Pirates life for me and I don't miss a thing. Not ever.

Right!

Until there is a service or subscription that has everything and isn't stupidly over priced I'll stick with it being free. Not signing up to multiple things just because they have 1 thing I like. Companies in the streaming arena need to start working together or GTFO.

Starting to look for better alternatives. Sadly, they just added PBS a few months ago which I hate to give up but the cost increase, especially with so many people out of work is simply disgusting. Any recommendations???

Starting to look for better alternatives. Sadly, they just added PBS a few months ago which I hate to give up but the cost increase, especially with so many people out of work is simply disgusting. Any recommendations???
How close are you to a PBS broadcast station? If you are within a reasonable distance, an OTA antenna would work. https://www.silicondust.com/ has stand-alone OTA DVR solutions, or you might try something like MediaPortal or Kodi.

I mean, if I felt like paying for cable(haven't had it in roughly 10 years) I'd give my money to google because it costs about the same as what I would pay for comcast but I wouldn't be giving my money to comcast.

Don‘t you need to pay for internet access in addition to Youtube TV‘s monthly fee ?

Ive always thought YT TV was ludicrously overpriced at $35 a month. This was when Netflix was $8 a month. Like how much media do you NEED?

Good point. Got rid of my Sky Pay TV subscription because between Netflix, the free TV channels I get over Satellite (that’s a plus here in Europe) and Youtube, I simply don‘t have the time or interest to take advantage of all the additional channels. Haven‘t watched Disney+ since I finished watching the Mandalorian and Clone wars so will get rid of that.

Sky was pretty decent as far as newish movies were concerned but if there is a movie I must absolutely see I can always get a used Blu-Ray and still save the €50 monthly Sky fee.

Now its $65 a month. That is literally insane. I can get basic cable packages for less, not that I watch TV anymore, but still. You can get netflix, hulu, disney+, and HBO for less then that.

$780 a year is also a hefty principal only extra payment on your house or car loan. WAY too much for TV.
I didn't know YouTube tv was a thing. Australia doesn't have it here. Between reading, podcasts, YouTube, Netflix and open world video games, I don't see why people pay for so many different options, even accounting for different tastes of content.

Don‘t you need to pay for internet access in addition to Youtube TV‘s monthly fee ?
I pay $30 a month for 200/50. YouTube tv basically wants as much as Comcast for CABLE. I have their internet, not cable TV service

We desperately need a competitor to YouTube. At the moment it’s so dominant and it makes it nearly impossible to live Google free unless you want to miss out on the service.

Back