YouTube will stop displaying exact subscriber counts in September

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: First announced in May, the change will see YouTube switch to abbreviated subscriber counts for public-facing accounts with over 1,000 subscribers. For example, if a channel has 111,018 subscribers, users will now see the subscriber count reported as 111K until the channel reaches 112,000 subscribers.

YouTube is making good on its promise to change how it displays public subscriber counts across its platform.

Third parties that use YouTube's API Services will also see the abbreviated subscriber counts.

Creators will still be able to view exact subscriber counts in YouTube Studio and YouTube Analytics, we’re told.

YouTube in May said it was making the change for consistency sake but in a recent update, the company added that it addresses creator concerns about stress and well-being around tracking public subscriber counts in real time. “We hope this helps all creators focus on telling their story, and experience less pressure about the numbers,” YouTube said.

That explanation would be a bit more plausible if actual subscriber counts were also being masked from creators but considering they can still see the figures in their control panel, that really doesn’t hold much weight.

In fact, it could end up being a detriment to channels. As Android Police highlights, abbreviated subscriber counts could make becoming a follower of a big channel less personal because you won't see the subscriber count change when you hit the subscribe button.

The changes are set to start rolling out gradually over the course of September.

Masthead credit: YouTube by PixieMe

Permalink to story.

Ugh...

Also how can Websites live with themselves knowing exactly how many viewers and subscribers they have.

I think it should be optional.

I have almost 59,000. Eventually I'll hit 100,000.

There is a "drive" to help a channel reach 100,000 (or other Play Button milestones) the closer they get to it. Sometimes it causes an influx of sharing and subs.

My problem is that I don't ask people to subscribe and I have way more views than I have subs.

I have almost 36,000,000 views (growing at 400,000 per month) and close to 59,000 subs while most people I know doing similar content have 100,0000+ subs but fewer than 10,000,000 views.

I really should start selling merchandise.

There's a generation out there that needs a lot of therapy. Or spankings.

Youtube is money.

I've got no problem with kids who start Youtubes and earn money off of it.

It's like getting an MBA for free. You literally start a business, learn how to maintain that business. Learn how to make that business grow. File Taxes - Pay taxes...

And if you're lucky, you'll get rich.

I earn around $2000 a month from Youtube alone and that's nothing compared to what some of these kids a 3rd my age are earning playing games.

Ohhh Nooo They won't show exact numbers anymore? OMG My life is over!!! Now, can you all write about something that's actually REAL News?? Un-Flippin-believable!

Back