YouTuber gets 15-month prison sentence, $22,300 fine for giving homeless man toothpaste-filled...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: A YouTuber posting a video of a cruel prank isn’t something new, but one Barcelona-based channel owner has been given a prison sentence for his actions, which involved giving toothpaste-filled Oreos to a homeless man.

In January 2017, Kanghua Ren, originally from China and known to his subscribers as ReSet, was challenged by one of his 1.2 million followers to carry out the prank. In the now-removed video, part of which is on the Independent website, ReSet is seen scraping out the Oreos’ cream filling and replacing it with toothpaste. He then gives them to a homeless man outside a supermarket, along with a 20 euro ($11) note.

Known only as Gheorge L., the homeless man, who is in his early 50s, was born in Romania and worked as a pastor and a shepherd before migrating to Barcelona. He reportedly vomited soon after eating the cookies.

“Maybe I’ve gone a bit far, but look at the positive side: This will help him clean his teeth,” said the then-19-year-old Ren in the video. “I think he hasn’t cleaned them since he became poor.”

After the video received almost universal criticism, Ren and a friend visited Gheorge L again, offering him another 20 Euros, but a witness called the police. Police say Ren later offered the man’s daughter 300 euros ($337) in return for not filing a lawsuit.

Last week, a Barcelona court found Ren guilty of violating the moral integrity of the homeless man, according to the New York Times. He was given a 15-month prison sentence and ordered to pay 20,000 euros (around $22,300) compensation to Gheorge L. The YouTuber is unlikely to go to jail as Spanish law usually allows sentences under two years for first-time offenders to be suspended. He has also been ordered to close his YouTube and social media accounts for five years.

Gheorge told El Pais he had “never been treated so poorly while living on the street.”

Prosecutors claim Ren had previously offered sandwiches filled with his cats' excrement to children and elderly people.

Image credit: connorp04 via Imgur

Permalink to story.

Ren either needs to clean up his act or ... well I will let you fill in the blank there. The biggest problem caused by these actions like these, is the degeneration of trust. So when those actually trying to do good, people become less likely to accept help.

Hmm. A 19-year old still in his terrible twos.

Perhaps they should add psychiatric/psychological counseling to his sentence.
What a jerk.
I can't understand the popularity of pathostreamers (if the word exists in english)...
Perhaps you should suggest it as a word to add to the English language. IMO, its a great fit for a class of entitled simpletons that have not grown much beyond potty training.

I wouldn't mind $22,300 for vomiting, but this is a frivolous lawsuit. I'm not sure what religion he was a pastor as, but you should forgive others for their transgressions, not retaliate. Evil begets evil. But just because someone received a pastoral title doesn't mean much. A prank is a prank... good grief. I don't care if he did it to the pope.

I wouldn't mind $22,300 for vomiting, but this is a frivolous lawsuit. I'm not sure what religion he was a pastor as, but you should forgive others for their transgressions, not retaliate. Evil begets evil. But just because someone received a pastoral title doesn't mean much. A prank is a prank... good grief. I don't care if he did it to the pope.

I'm sure if this happened to you or someone close to you, you'd be just as forgiving. Right?

The guy is a jerk, trying to get hits on his stupid YouTube Channel. You can't get much more shallow than that. He deserves every bit of jail/grief coming to him.

Yeah, no..."Prosecutors claim Ren had previously offered sandwiches filled with his cats' excrement to children and elderly people". His pranks could make people extremely sick.

Perhaps you should suggest it as a word to add to the English language. IMO, its a great fit for a class of entitled simpletons that have not grown much beyond potty training.
This is the time when I need to use an english dictionary. If there's some sarcasm involved, no chance to see it ;)

Not sure about the word, but this social phenomena exists for sure. Recently in my country there was an arrest of an individual who streamed the beating of his grandma. There also were many cases of animal cruelty posted on youtube, thankfully the society starts to care.

Really? I do not see anything out there that says the pastor sued him.

In case you are not aware, most civilized countries likely consider this an assault and may or may not need the victim's cooperation to bring charges.

Yeah, no..."Prosecutors claim Ren had previously offered sandwiches filled with his cats' excrement to children and elderly people". His pranks could make people extremely sick.
Eating feces of any kind could easily be deadly. Feces are the most prevalent source of e-coli and people have died in recent outbreaks. When you hear of an e-coli outbreak, it is most likely due to contamination from feces.

This guy is a psychopath and should be locked up, IMO, but most articles say that he will not likely serve the full term because he is a first-time offender.

Really? I do not see anything out there that says the pastor sued him.

In case you are not aware, most civilized countries likely consider this an assault and may or may not need the victim's cooperation to bring charges.

"Gheorge L., the homeless man, who is in his early 50s, was born in Romania and worked as a pastor"

Yes, I would forgive someone for pranking me, and have many times before. I was not referring to the fecal matter though. Toothpaste is harmless and is lol.

Perhaps an application of "let the punishment fit the crime" should be applied. Along with the prison sentence, let's have HIM eat three of those toothpaste filled Oreo's for desert every evening he's in the joint. Oh, we'll let him choose between minty fresh, regular, etc, etc but make him eat it, swallow it, and keep it down. Should serve as an effective reminder of his crime and if he refuses, we'll ask his new prison provided boyfriend serve it to him ...... yeah, that will work!

Should be locked up even more and made to eat his own creations. In addition, YT should just straight out ban him forever and shut his channel down.

The judge actually told him to close all his YT channels

I used to watch his anime videos but never saw the toothpaste oreo prank video

Perhaps an application of "let the punishment fit the crime" should be applied. Along with the prison sentence, let's have HIM eat three of those toothpaste filled Oreo's for desert every evening he's in the joint. Oh, we'll let him choose between minty fresh, regular, etc, etc but make him eat it, swallow it, and keep it down. Should serve as an effective reminder of his crime and if he refuses, we'll ask his new prison provided boyfriend serve it to him ...... yeah, that will work!

What if he likes toothpaste? (Or has a fetish with toothpaste)

But since in Spain we have a problem leaving people out of jail, he's gonna be free
Viva España

"Gheorge L., the homeless man, who is in his early 50s, was born in Romania and worked as a pastor"

Yes, I would forgive someone for pranking me, and have many times before. I was not referring to the fecal matter though. Toothpaste is harmless and is lol.
:facepalm:So what if the pastor forgives him. It was the authorities who charged him. Was this not clear?

There have been many murderers that have been forgiven by the families of those they have murdered. However, they were still charged with crimes by the state. So in your book, murderers who are forgiven by the families of their victims should go free?

Actions like these can harm someone. What if the pastor had inhaled his own vomit into his lungs? If something like that happened, it could have lead to the pastor's death through suffocation or secondary infection.

And here, please educate yourself about "Toothpaste is harmless" https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002745.htm
Symptoms

Swallowing a large amount of regular toothpaste may cause stomach pain and possible intestinal blockage.

These additional symptoms may occur when swallowing a large amount of toothpaste containing fluoride:

• Convulsions
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Drooling
  • Heart attack
  • Salty or soapy taste in the mouth
  • Slow heart rate
  • Shock
  • Tremors
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

I really do not get how people simply have no clue about things like this.

EDIT: Just in case anyone still believes that toothpaste is harmless - http://kidemergencies.com/toothpasteingestion.html
Large exposures, which are unusual, may result in significant toxicity, including low calcium and magnesium blood levels, heart rhythm disturbances and neurological problems such as tremors or seizures.

Last edited:
What that stupid kid did was wrong and he's done many similar things in the past. This was just the last straw.

Having said that all the commenters with "what a prick, prison sentence!!" "lock him up forever!!" etc etc.
How is any of that going to reform and help this kid to become a functional adult?

The justice system as a whole utterly fails at reforming criminals and just turns them into even more broken people that cant ever function and the rest of us needs to support with our taxes.
Give him a few flogs in public, make him volunteer in old folks homes and soup kitchens for a year or 2 and see if he gets better at least.

:facepalm:So what if the pastor forgives him. It was the authorities who charged him. Was this not clear?

There have been many murderers that have been forgiven by the families of those they have murdered. However, they were still charged with crimes by the state. So in your book, murderers who are forgiven by the families of their victims should go free?

Actions like these can harm someone. What if the pastor had inhaled his own vomit into his lungs? If something like that happened, it could have lead to the pastor's death through suffocation or secondary infection.

And here, please educate yourself about "Toothpaste is harmless" https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002745.htm

I really do not get how people simply have no clue about things like this.

EDIT: Just in case anyone still believes that toothpaste is harmless - http://kidemergencies.com/toothpasteingestion.html

So, you are comparing eating a little bit of toothpaste to murder? Wow, that is grasping straws. lol

What I am confused to is that the toothpaste wasn't tasted, and I am perplexed if it was eaten whole. FYI, if you read, he is not a pastor any more. It is of no relevance in your sentence.

I read your link. Wow, how insightful. Perhaps you could have found something of value? "This article discusses the effects of swallowing a lot of toothpaste." A "lot"... lol, gee thanks.

I do not get how people simply have no clue and link an article without any frame of reference. "Toothpaste is bad, mmmk?". lol thanks for enlightening us.

I think he was an actual pastor. You know, taking care of goats and stuff.

So, you are comparing eating a little bit of toothpaste to murder? Wow, that is grasping straws. lol
Since the issue was, does forgiveness from the victim mean a crime shouldn't go to trial, the principle is the same, whether the crime is great or small. And if he did the thing with the cat's excrement claimed, that was attempted murder because germs kill.

The fact that one of the biggest tech companies basically pays such individuals for their actions is a grim preview of algorithm controlled future.

But since in Spain we have a problem leaving people out of jail, he's gonna be free
Viva España
Chile is worse, a 15 yr old from chile killed his cat and uploaded a video on his youtube channel, but he didnt go to prison

Arriba chile conchetumare

Back