Zuckerberg says Facebook is at "war," and it's causing executives to quit

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: The last couple of years haven’t been the best for Facebook. The social network has had to deal with everything from Russian election interference to Cambridge Analytica, along with plenty of other scandals. It led to CEO Mark Zuckerberg gathering 50 of his top executives together back in June to inform them that the company was at “war.”

At the time of the meeting, Facebook was still dealing with the fallout from Cambridge Analytica. According to a Wall Street Journal report, Zuckerberg said he was moving to a more aggressive leadership style, telling his execs that they needed to “make progress faster.”

Zuckerberg reportedly held COO Sheryl Sandberg and her team responsible for the Cambridge Analytica backlash, telling her she should have done more to deal with the public outcry over the scandal. Sandberg was reportedly concerned about the meeting, telling friends that she wondered whether her job might be under threat.

Zuckerberg’s more aggressive approach hasn’t been well-received by those within Facebook. The WSJ writes that it’s led to "unprecedented turmoil," with several top executives, including the Instagram and WhatsApp cofounders, resigning.

Facebook is generating a slew of negative publicity right now. Last week saw a New York Times article that claimed the company employed the services of a “Republican opposition-research firm to discredit activist protestors, in part by linking them" to liberal billionaire George Soros. Sandberg was reported to have overseen the campaign but denied being aware of Facebook’s involvement with the PR firm in a post on the social network.

The Journal adds that during an internal company meeting on Friday, Zuckerberg described the recent media coverage of Facebook as “bullsh*t.”

Permalink to story.

By some shock, maybe he understands that he and his business could be accountable for stupid actions. Perhaps he should also require that everyone has to make an internal truthful layman's summary for each project..
example:
Cambridge Analytica - giving way too much gathered raw personal data collected from our customers to a 3rd party and trust that this uncontrolled 3rd party keeps it safe and only use for what we allow. ...

Actually all companies should have that requirement. It's preventative stupidity.
side note: would be it be so horrible to avoid allowing direct political ads of any sort on your platform? It's your platform. Sure it's a censor of sorts, but is it helping anyone having them? Do you really think people are reading an political ad and then fact checking it elsewhere?

Lizard man becomes aggressive after years of dealing with squishy humans.

Facebook is on a downward trend. Its not huge, but younger people are not using facebook the way boomers, gen x, or even millennials are. Facebook's time will come one day, just like myspace before it, and forums before that.

O'l zucky is just trying to keep the leaks under control, on a ship made of swiss cheese. He is beginning to realize the monster he created, and is frustrated with the knowledge he is no longer in control.

I don't like to be put in the position of cheering for someone's business to fail, but due to the power and how ubiquitous the platform has become, I think it would be in society's best interests if we could rid ourselves of Facebook and its children like Instagram and WhatsApp. We'd be better off.
Might have to step up Mental health services if this happened though judging by the way people (adults no less) react, it's like they are kids and their fav toy has just been taken away.

"Zuckerberg reportedly held COO Sheryl Sandberg and her team responsible for the Cambridge Analytica backlash, telling her she should have done more to deal with the public outcry over the scandal."

Guess what, Zuck? YOU'RE THE GUY IN CHARGE. You should be the one engaging in damage control and properly supervising your department heads.

Facebook is being dismantled to prove an example to the other BIG TECH companies. They want sensorship - CHINA is their masters... China!

"Zuckerberg reportedly held COO Sheryl Sandberg and her team responsible for the Cambridge Analytica backlash, telling her she should have done more to deal with the public outcry over the scandal."

Guess what, Zuck? YOU'RE THE GUY IN CHARGE. You should be the one engaging in damage control and properly supervising your department heads.
Yeah I wonder where the culture of being a piece of **** came from? Wow who would have thought abusing the trust of your users, repeatedly violating their privacy to pump up your advertising revenue would have people think you are a piece of ****.

I don't like to be put in the position of cheering for someone's business to fail, but due to the power and how ubiquitous the platform has become, I think it would be in society's best interests if we could rid ourselves of Facebook and its children like Instagram and WhatsApp. We'd be better off.
Might have to step up Mental health services if this happened though judging by the way people (adults no less) react, it's like they are kids and their fav toy has just been taken away.
This is so off-topic, but your username is AWESOME! I've rewatched Kill la Kill and love Senketsu!

The specific verbage used in 'at war' just serves to worsen their image, and reinforce my satan worshiping view of them. I dipped my toe in the Facebook waters many years ago and my gut started screaming 'RUN YOU HAPLESS FOOL' and I mostly I listen to it. Unfortunately others make me stick it in there every once in a while. Im just waiting for some ugly garpike looking monstrosity to bite it off. My issue is not with social networking, or sites that do so, my issue is with how society has basically sold their first born children to this monster, and how they have repeatedly abused that privilege and ignored the responsibility of it, and yet we still........

Well bullsh*t was paying off so much that he could not say no to it, but eventually you have to pay for the problem it cause so eat it Zuk while it's cold ;)

My facebook name is John Smith and I work on Adventure Galley. Take that Cambridge analytics. Will see what you can do with that data.

Back