Zyxel router: reset to switch

Mac291

Hey I'm trying to reconfig this Zyxel C1100Z as a switch for our home network. Got most of the settings but need a little help. 1) I don't find how to change the IP for this device to 192.168.0.2. Will this happen automatically b/c I turned off DHCP on the Zyxel? 2) Where in Firewall settings do I set "filter multicast" and "firewall protect". Maybe they're referred to differently in this menu.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Mac

The only setting that NEEDS to be changed is DHCP OFF.
ALSO understand that wifi from this will not be supported.

Now leave the wan slot empty and Wire to the gateway router lan-to-lan

Well I turned off DHCP and WiFi but couldn't find where to give it a new IP so it won't conflict w/the main router. Thought I'd do that today but now I can't get the login page. Used 192.168.0.1 yesterday (w/WiFi off on the laptop). Tried a few like 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1 I believe.

Not sure what I did but IPCONFIG on the laptop, not connected to any network, gives 'Ethernet adapter ethernet: IPv6 address (long!), Autoconfiguration IPv4 address: 169.254.146.51, SM = 255.255.255.0 but the DG is blank.

Believe I got the firewall settings. I didn't see 'filter multicast' in the settings and 'firewall protect' either doesn't exist or he was referring to something else. If I could just find out what the IP of this Zyxel became I should be able to use it as a switch.

Thanks Jobeard. Hopefully I'll get there.

Mac

If the default router addresses on both are the same, then ONE must be changed - - I usually change the the secondary to something like 192.168.0.254. For me, that's my wifi.
Used 192.168.0.1 yesterday (w/WiFi off on the laptop). Tried a few like 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1 I believe.
BOTH routers need to be on 192.168.0.x where X is the primary and 254 for the secondary. If you don't, then the secondary can't access the primary.

Do this:
  1. take the secondary to the PC and disconnect the secondary from the primary so it's all by itself
  2. now login to 192.168.0.1
  3. disable remote admin and the use of port 8080
  4. change the router address to 192.168.0.254
  5. save the settings (which will disconnect you)
login to 192.168.0.254
  1. disable DHCP
  2. change the ADMIN login password
  3. save settings again
The secondary is now useful as a switch.

Connect the Primary --> Secondary and then --> your PC

You can still administrate the primary at 192.168.0.1 OR the secondary at 192.168.0.254

Leave your firewall alone, both any in the routers or on the system. You'll use the system FW as necessary.

You want to KILL all IPv6 at the adaptor itself to stop IPv6 tunneling. Get all the above first and then we'll work on IPv6

Did a reset and changed Zyxels' IP to 192.168.0.254, turned off DHCP and WiFi. Also remote administration. No port 8080 listed so I turned off 'all other ports' in IPv4 firewall. IPv6 is disabled and there is no table like for IPv4.

I didn't find any setting for 'filter multicast' or 'firewall protect' from original instructions. Neither should affect me when I use the switch AFAIK. But NAT is still on. At this point (11 pm) not sure if that's important. I'll test the switch tomorrow.

Thanks a bundle jobeard. Really appreciate not letting this ol router get the best of me, with your help.

Cheers,

Mac

I hope you've not gone too far with "turn off all other ports". Firewalls are tricky and the majority of users have little or no understanding of them. I assume you mean the firewall in the switch. If you REALLY want/need a FW in the network, then it belongs in the gateway router, not the switch.

btw: IPCONFIG will not show 192.168.0.254 as that address is not an active node in the path - - you're running it as a switch.

Back