id Software's Doom pioneered the modern first-person shooter genre. Released in 1993, it was a quantum leap in game engine technology with fluid and — at the time — incredibly realistic 3D graphics.
While you can still enjoy the original Doom and its progeny today in an emulator, modern games are held to higher standards of visual fidelity, usability, and multiplayer features. Doomsday Engine exists to refresh the technology of these classic games while retaining the core gameplay experience.
- UI Game profiles and add-on selection. Multiplayer server browser. In-game overlay with configuration options and console prompt.
- Graphics Particle effects and dynamic lights. Bloom and vignette effects. Geometry-based ambient occlusion. Supports 3D models for objects (FBX, MD5) and sky boxes. Upscaling texture filter. Stereoscopic rendering modes.
- Audio 3D sound effects and reverb (FMOD plugin). Supports music add-ons (MP3) and FluidSynth for high-quality MIDI music (Unix only).
- Multiplayer Automatic discovery of LAN servers. Master server for public games. Tool for running servers in the background.
- Technology Portable code built on Qt 5 and OpenGL.
Beta version updated to 2.3.0
- 3D models that use the new .pack format and modern shaders were partially invisible due to being rendered with incorrect clip plane distances.
- Player 3D weapon models that use the new .pack format are now more consistently positioned on screen when using 4:3 and 16:9 view aspect ratios.
- The “cubeshot” console command that generates environment cube maps only drew one of the cube faces.
- macOS: Notarization of Doomsday.app failed due to missing code signatures.
Software similar to Doomsday Engine 3
Unity 2019 introduces all new features that help teams of artists and developers build experiences together.
- Free to Try
Unreal Engine is now free. Free for game development. Free for Virtual Reality. Free for education. Free for architecture. Free for film.
The most powerful game development platform is now available to everyone. Full engine source code. All features. No royalties. No obligations. No license fee.