Test System & Power Consumption
Intel Core 2 Duo Test System Specs
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 (2.60GHz)
- Western Digital Black 500GB (Serial ATAII)
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
- ATI Catalyst 9.11
QNAP TS-809 Pro Turbo NAS
Synology Disk Station DS409+
Promise Technology SmartStor NS4600
Synology Disk Station DS109
While NAS devices are typically much more efficient than a desktop computer, the specifications of our test system are actually very similar to that of the QNAP TS-809 Pro Turbo. Both were running an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 processor, though our desktop was configured with just 2 HDDs and used 19% less power under load.
The TS-809 Pro Turbo used 35% more power than the Synology DS409+ and double the amount consumed by the Promise SmartStor NS4600. These results are not as surprising when you consider the powerful hardware inside QNAP's device. It will be interesting to see if similar margins ensue when it comes to performance.
- Ad-free TechSpot experience while supporting our work
- NEW Get a free copy of Superhot: Mind Control Delete, courtesy of GOG
- Our promise: All reader contributions will go toward funding more content
- That means: More tech features, more benchmarks and analysis