0x Problem on Boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

British_Command

Right, when i turn on my computer it goes through the basics, asks me if i want load WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION (boot screen) or WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION. Dunno why it has been lately either one leads to same problem in the end.

Then it says options like Safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking, last know good configuration and start up normally.

I start it up normally, it says a problem (which i will type in a sec) has occured UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME. and some more text ill type but start it up in safe mode.

So i start it up in safe mode and no difference problem keeps coming up in a blue screen! the users of this comp (relations) will be very f'd off with me if i dont get this working please help!

This is the info you will need.

The problem comes up in a blue screen and it says :

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME which it cannot load or something, and

TECHNICAL INFORMATION :
0x000000ED (0x86F90A70, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

This value always seems to change everytime i start up - 0x86F90A70 and one of the others is -
0X86F86E30

PLEAS HELP!

MrP

nah

nope no floppy disk drive mate, ahh damnit i regret saying i never needing one!

please anything else?

man my parents will go beserk, as soon as they find out im busted :p and we have spent loads on repairs etc.! so they wont repair it!

is there any other way!

Press F8 as the computer starts and choose command prompt press enter. Put the XP cd in the cd drive , type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons and install the recovery console. Restart the computer, press F8 and go into the recovery console. Choose #1 then when you get to the command prompt type FIXMBR and hit enter. When that is done attemt to start your computer normally. If that doesn't work boot the computer from the XP cd and choose repair Windows XP.

Yeah

I bought this Dell computer with windows xp but i dont think i have the CD as i have a box full of the drivers and i thought it was there but im wrong. I've had my computer restarted several times before and they've managed to install windows xp somehow never asked how.

i think my friend may have one i could use.

although

although this PC Technician we used one time, i think he gave us a recovery disk, but i guesss thats no use until we get on to the actual windows

A Recovery Disk should be bootable and therefore you can use it to reload/repair Windows, depending upon the type of Disk.
However, as I read your post it really sounds as though you have 2 installations of XP on your machine. If this is true and it is the way you want it, fine. Just use the procedure Fastco gave you using the Recovery Disk.
If you do not want 2 XP installations, you need to Format your HDD/partitions and re-install . Make sure you have Data backed up.
It would help if you could post the HDD layout of your machine.Then we could give you specific instructions.

2 xp?

nah i dont have 2 xp's loaded up? is that possible and what do you mean by that, i think one of the technicians supplied me with a recovery disk so i'll have a go.

Thanks alot,

MrP

I mean like Dual booting to two different O/S's If you are offered 2 XP's at the initial black screen after bios start up. Either that or Recovery consul is loaded on your machine.
At least that what your first Post sounds like.
At any rate let us know what happens, don't forget to set the CD Rom to boot first.
Cheers

nah

i get two OS choices which are :
Windows XP Home edition (bootscreen),
Windows XP Home Edition.

i ot hold of one of my dell cd's which holds windows on it but i put it in and ive tried your way and one of the 'READ' posts and i havent succeded yet.

Thinking of actually reinstalling my whole computer, or do you guys think thats i not necessary?

you definately have two installations of XP on your system. (or at least two partial installations - no good) Reformat (the entire HD) and reload the OS with your recovery CD.

how?

how do i reformat ? and the recovbery disk is the winxp right?

pleas egive instructions, im good with computers but this is beyond me.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back