No remove button

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes - I don't see your first post so don't know what the program is so cannot be specific.
Go Start > Programs > "problem program" and look for an uninstall option.

AlbertLionheart said:
yes - I don't see your first post so don't know what the program is so cannot be specific.
Go Start > Programs > "problem program" and look for an uninstall option.
options rnt there for all programs, what imasking is there way to fix this add remove ?

AlbertLionheart said:
Tell me what the problem program is, please!
Albert every single program is showing problem, I simply dont see any remove button for any one of them... notice the pic please, ull see lot of files those rnt supposed tobe there

I cannot read your picture as the quality is too poor - but I now understand you in that there is no add/remove program button for any of them.
There has to be a registry switch for this - have you made any registry changes or has the machine been set up to stop anyone making changes to critical elements perhaps?

There are different reasons why one or a handful of remove buttons disappear from Add/Remove programs. But few months back i had occasion to also find all the remove buttons disappeared. It happened to occur on a machine for which i kept frequent backups, so i was able to do considerable restore / retest. After considerable testing, i found the problem 100% repeatable if one were to
  1. Downloaded a recent release of Yahoo Messenger (forget the version number but was recent at the time)
  2. Subsequently removed Yahoo Extras (also called Yahoo Browser Services)
Removing Yahoo Browser Services actually caused the entire Uninstall section of the registry to be deleted. That also causes all those Remove buttons to be deleted.

Look at this thread

Does Uninstalling Yahoo Browser Services sound familiar? It may not be the only scenario that causes your problem but it was absolutely the problem source for me. And several others told me they recalled having done the same before having that same problem

Do you recall what you had done?

LookinAround said:
There are different reasons why one or a handful of remove buttons disappear from Add/Remove programs. But few months back i had occasion to also find all the remove buttons disappeared. It happened to occur on a machine for which i kept frequent backups, so i was able to do considerable restore / retest. After considerable testing, i found the problem 100% repeatable if one were to
  1. Downloaded a recent release of Yahoo Messenger (forget the version number but was recent at the time)
  2. Subsequently removed Yahoo Extras (also called Yahoo Browser Services)
Removing Yahoo Browser Services actually caused the entire Uninstall section of the registry to be deleted. That also causes all those Remove buttons to be deleted.

Look at this thread

Does Uninstalling Yahoo Browser Services sound familiar? It may not be the only scenario that causes your problem but it was absolutely the problem source for me. And several others told me they recalled having done the same before having that same problem

Do you recall what you had done?
YES SIR, this sounds 100% familier. This is my g.f which has this problem. She installed Yahoo through its online setup and unintentionally installed Yahoo Features too and they got all messed up with registry warning coming from Kaspersky and in the end when she deleted extra features, yahoo etc. This has appeared. Same as youve mentioned.
So any solution to get buttons back without doing clean install of windows

Zammy

Thanks lookinaround - looks as if you are spot on.
As for a repair, I don't think you need to reinstall windows, just the programs as this will recreate an uninstall record for them in the registry.
There was no fix on the previous thread.

Hey Lionheart. This was a good one to track down. I was lucky as i had recently installed Yahoo Messenger on an isolated test system i keep sometime earlier. Was figuring out some problems a friend said he was having (an unrelated problem). Was several days later i noticed all those missing remove buttons! In any case, my circumstance had me suspicioius of Yahoo from the start. And glad to provide it. But i don't know what in the heck they did to have such a major bug as to delete all that uninstall info from the registry!)

Zammy, fixes are limited.
  1. System Restore
    • Before trying restore points, I'd be cautious and clone (or just backup) your hard drive first. I find Acronis True Image pretty good. If you're running Win XP, Vista or Windows Server 2003 you can also use a freeware tool. Checkout DriveImageXL
    • Check your system restore points. If too much time hasn't passed you may still have a restore point from prior to the date it occured. They get overwritten with time. So, if it exists try it ASAP
    • If not certain just when it happened try the earliest date (if you think that date is within range)
  2. Reinstall your programs. If it gives you the option, try to do a "Repair" rather then "install". Not really sure if repair covers that situation.. but try it and let me know!
Unfortunately, that's it for fixes that i know of. btw.. it appears any new program installed after Yahoo trashed you, is installed properly and has it's uninstall info loaded into the registry properly. So all new programs installed after Yahoo trashed you will appear in add/remove with their Remove button per usual

One final input from me - this shows that it is worth getting a decent backup package that includes such things as the registry, favourites, email accounts, address books and all those other essential little things that windows hides away. Its OK for those of us who know where they are hidden but.....

I have to agree that it was Yahoo browser services that broke the add/remove appelate, I removed that program and then add/remove did not have the remove button on any programs anymore. The good news is it does not cause any other collateral damage and if you want to remove the program you can re-install and then remove the program, when you re-install it corrects the missing registry entries for the affected programs.
Thank you to LookinAround for letting us know what they found, it jarred my memory and I recall removing Yahoo browser services just before this happened.
Good luck to all!

Hi Gamedad

Glad you were able to find this thread so you had supporting proof to what you suspected.

At this point I'm not certain what amazes me more:
[list[
[*]Amazed at people who don't believe me when i blame Yahoo Browser Servies (EVEN THO i tell them I had ghosted a disk image to create a test environment which let''s be prove it 100% over and over and over again)
[*]Amazed that yahoo still hasn't fixed this problem since i first found it in 2007! Grrrrrrr. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back