Nvidia Dawn (fairy) demo on ATI cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

Saw this on Rage3d (May 21th, 2003):
From Rage3d ATI "Nvidia" Dawn Demo hack:
When I first saw Nvidia’s new GeForce FX Dawn demo I was quite impressed. ATI’s demos done by Alex and the ATI Research crew are of course impressive as well, but the Dawn demo had a certain appeal. Maybe it was the human form, life-like facial expressions, realistic skins tones and texture, or most likely the sexual appeal. So it was disappointing to find out that this magnificent demo would not be able to run on ATI’s DX9 graphic cards. Luckily a group of MIT engineering students were disappointed by the same thing (also rumoured that they were unhappy with Nvidia's image quality and performance) and were up to the task of making it work on ATI hardware (and the brains!). The end result was an opengl wrapper that made the demo run smoothly on ATI hardware. Most impressive!

Requirements:

-A graphic card that supports GL_ARB_*_program and GL_ATI_vertex_array_object
-Nvidia Dawn Demo
-512MB System Memory
-Patch works with the following chipsets:
R350 based cards
R300 based cards
RV350 based cards
M10 chipset

Download OpenGL wrapper
Download Dawn demo

Apparently you rename "fairy.exe" to "quake3.exe" or "3dmark03.exe". I haven't tried this out.. *cough*

Interesting, however, I am curious as to why anyone with an ATi card would want to run a NVIDIA demo. If you buy an ATi card, why not stick to their demos? I can see above that some have a certain appeal to Dawn possibly due to her/its human form, but I would just like to hear it from you guys. I don't mean to sound like I am biting people’s heads off here, I am just curious :confused: .

I think the interesting point of this is the following:
-It runs 15% faster than NV30 on the 9800pro, and it also runs faster than NV35 (we are unable to personally confirm this but a user with both cards and FRAPS could).
-Creates higher quality images than the original due to the normalization being done in a fragment program (dp3/rsq/mul) instead of in a normalization cubemap which the FX extensions does directly in hardware
-The OpenGL wrapper adds more overhead, as it has to interperet code calls for Nvidia extensions and map them to ATI/ARB extensions, and yet it still runs faster on the ATI card, due to its more sophisticated pixel shader engine.

Originally posted by timmoore
Interesting, however, I am curious as to why anyone with an ATi card would want to run a NVIDIA demo. If you buy an ATi card, why not stick to their demos? I can see above that some have a certain appeal to Dawn possibly due to her/its human form, but I would just like to hear it from you guys. I don't mean to sound like I am biting people’s heads off here, I am just curious :confused: .

The Demo shows what DX9 and OGL2.0 are capable of, and this is the same on either hardware. The propietary extensions that Nvidia employs do not affect the standard path, they just make it impossible to run on anything except Nvidia hardware. I think this demo is a great example of what vertex and pixel shaders are capable of......A demo is a demo is a demo...this just happens to be a really nice one, with a great rack:grinthumb

Quite a good demo!

Interesting to see what it's possible to do with these cards (NV3x, R3x0)....

Certain parts really suprised me in detail....
(With and without "special" patch :D)

yep i know, but the choice between 9100 and 9500 will be made on the price the day i'll buy it :) price which is dropping :D

c'mon dudes

everyone wants the demo for the nude patch that can be applied to it.......it's all over the net .........so if you do not have a fx card ............screenshots are still floating around

Maybe nVidia's not to happy about the ATi cards running Dawn.
FROM WHAT we've heard through the grapevine, Nvidia is none too happy about the patching of Dawn so that it'd run on any ATI card capable of rendering DX9 function calls.
You can read it all atThe Inquirer.

[Downloadable Fairy?] Thanks!

Thanks Petey! This was unexpected and kind from you :)

petey said:
but it is about 28MB and not a fast server!

I'm not afraid.. Here I have got DSL brandwidht for 1 year only, I'm used to be patient, I had to bear 56 kbs for years before

Anyway, that video does really worth it!

Thanks to Mictlantecuhtli too for the way to convert asx to .avi!

[To Spike].. I Can understand your purposes.. anyway, in my opinion, as they doesn't want us (or at least, newbees) to download it, why don't they maye totally unavailable?.. I just want have the freedom to have it on my HDD or on a USB-key.. (I want to show it to my "geekette")..

Why would nVidia want to prevent me to do so? Why others video are directly downloadable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back