New HP desktop freeze / BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am hoping someone here can offer some help. I am not particularly literate on hardware/bug details so not sure how to proceed in doing further checks (though I intend to try).

I have a new HP customized desktop, fairly high spec and have had 2 BSODs and a couple of hangs in the less than two weeks I've had my machine, while performing basic tasks - ie. it isn't a power or overheat issue. I've updated drivers, run HP diagnostics with no obvious issues, but still I get occassional hangs (once every 2 or 3 days).
The first two issues resulted in BSODs (attached minidumps) - at the time I was surfing the internet, with no other desktop programs running. Other couple of times it has hung was when playing the bundled chess game (firefox open also); and while using "Sandra" to run diagnostics this morning (froze on module scan)

Eventlogs - not sure on how to read all this (should there be so many errors on a new, normally functioning pc??) but errors occurring at freeze times were mainly WMI & SCM, there are also someLanguagePackSetup errors that pop up at various times (the native OS is Japanese, I use English pack)

I haven't installed many extra applications on the machine, as this started to happen I was waiting to see if the situation would improve before installing more. So, basically, for a high-performance system pretty much out of the box, drivers updated, I shouldn't have any of these issues (IMHO).

I will contact HP support soon, though I am in Japan, and support is only in Japanese, so that's why I am asking here first.

CPU: Corei7-950
MOBO: Pegatron IPMTB-TK Model: TRUCKEE-UL8E
Memory: 6 slots - full. 9GB DDR3 RAM @1GHz (3x2, 3x1)
GPU: GeForce GTS250 1GB
PSU: 460W
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, Japanese, English Language Pack

Thanks in advance for any of your time and effort. Hope you can help! (as I'm not sure HP helpdesk will be able to, and I don't want to have to send the pc back already..)

Attachments

• debuglog.txt
    25.5 KB · Views: 6
  • debuglogA.txt
    21.7 KB · Views: 6
0x124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR are very difficult errors to deal with because it is hard to pin down the exact cause.Through research I have come across IT professionals who confess the trouble of zeroing on the cause.

The 0x124 is the newer code in Vista. Under XP the older code is 0x9C and here is a description:

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

As the definition says, it is definitely a hardware issue. Microsoft in their brief 0x124 definition also says it is definitely a hardware issue. The answer may be found in your second log: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101) An expected clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor in anMP system within the allocated interval. This indicates that the specified processor is hung and not processing interrupts. This has to do with your CPU. Re-read the above definition.

My first and best advice is to get a hold of HP and have them fix this. Since it is new it has to still be under warrenty. Seriously, I know people who get close to tearing out their hair in trying to find the cause of their problem.

When you contact them make sure you have your logs with the information you have showed us here. That is valuable info.

* Please do us a favor and keep us up-to-date and tell us how HP resolved this because such info is valuable for the community. Thanks and good luck.

Thanks Route44!

Yesterday, I restored windows from scratch to see if it would make a difference. Was going along fine (this time, eventually, all the menus and even start-up was in English!), and I was hoping this would be all I needed to do - while giving it some time before installing all but the most basic of programs.
Well, just tonight, with the pc idle (internet was the only appl running), the pc shut down and rebooted (no BSOD, no minidump file either). Looking at the event log, there's nothing pre-shutdown, just the eventlog for an "unexpected shutdown", followed by 4 WHEA-logger warnings (first time I've seent hese):

> A corrected hardware error occurred.

Error Source: Corrected Machine Check

Error Type: Internal Timer Error

Processor ID Valid: Yes
Processor ID: 0x7
Bank Number: 5
Transaction Type: N/A
Processor Participation: N/A
Request Type: N/A
Memory/Io: N/A
Memory Hierarchy Level: N/A

and a WMI error (this seems to occur quite often):
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Anyway, I'll contact HP again - they originally suggested to run HP diagnostic: nothing. And then to restore Windows and install every appl/update one by one, a few days apart to see if there are any issues in between - who would actually do that?!?!
I'll try to explain to them (via a Japanese friend) the minidump contents and see what they say. A little surprised that the CPU would be a problem given that it is supposed to be high-quality Corei7...

Will keep you posted on the outcome - could take some time tho...

Cheers!

I have the same freezing problem with an HP e9180f. I've done some research on this issue and found a lot of other HP customers posting the same issue on the HP customer forums. The problem is the Pegatron Truckee motherboard revision 1.3, customers have had to send their systems to HP and get the motherboard replaced with revision 1.4 to resolve the freezing issue. I think it's a complete outrage that people buying brand new HP systems are faced with this crap. If your system is within the return period for a refund then do it any buy something else but not an HP.

I have the same freezing problem with an HP e9180f. I've done some research on this issue and found a lot of other HP customers posting the same issue on the HP customer forums. The problem is the Pegatron Truckee motherboard revision 1.3, customers have had to send their systems to HP and get the motherboard replaced with revision 1.4 to resolve the freezing issue. I think it's a complete outrage that people buying brand new HP systems are faced with this crap. If your system is within the return period for a refund then do it any buy something else but not an HP.

Thanks for this information. Do you know the time period in which this problem occured?

Dewey,

Thanks for the info!! My new HP is/was an e9190j. HP took it back for servicing on Saturday, so I'll try to pass on this issue to them asap (ie. before they send it back unfixed!)
Yes! It's a damn outrage that new equipment has a basic fault in it - maybe I should have gone Mac afterall...
Getting a refund in Japan may not be so easy, but I'll see what comes about. Have to get my J-friend to do all the contact/talking though......
I'll look into it more at work tmrw and see what more I can find out on the issue to alert them too.

Thanks a bunch!

I have the exact same error and the e9180f HP Desktop. I contacted HP who made me complete some rather basic troubleshooting and the same error you reported appeared in the event log:

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

My BSOD error began to vary after a number of troubleshooting steps from 0x0000200 to simply 'hardware failure' after which HP sent me a box to forward the computer to the depot for repair. I just packed up my computer and am in the process of sending it in for repairs. It is extremely disappointing to purchase a computer with such a basic design flaw, especially since I have not had a problem with HP computers in the past.

Temp Fix

I have this problem as well.

First, if your system is within the first 21 days demand that your trouble go to a HP case worker, then give HP a choice either send a field tech with a new updated mainboard or provide you with an RMA and return lable for a FULL REFUND of your HP purchase, and go replace the HP with another system such as Dell Studio XPS 435. Go to the next set if HP agrees to send a field tech and new mainboard to where your HP system resides.

Second. Go into the Bios setup and DISABLE Hyper-Threading.

Third: Go to Safe Mode and run chkdisk c: /f

Fourth. Open your IE browser, select tools, then select Internet Options. go to the Programs Tab, and click on Manage Add-Ons, and DISABLE ALL HP add-ons and any other AddOn that you really do not need.

These steps should keep you up and running without any BSOD until the HP tech replaces your mainboard.

Do you know if this issue is limited to certain HP models or is it across the board so to speak?

My e9180f is on the way back to HP for repairs. The techs I spoke with seemed to be not surprised with this issue and were more than willing to push me into sending the PC in for repairs. I have purchase protection insurance so if the replacement PC they send me also has errors I will be getting a refund.

Other Affected Systems

Right now all I can speak for is the HP e9180f Elite system. However the key is in the mainboard manufacturer and board model. I would say any HP model type with this mainboard experiencing this problems will need to be replaced immediately.

E9180f - multiple freezes

I have a new HP E9180f that freezes once or more peer day - often while using Internet Explorer. One blue screeen but generally just freezes with no messages.
Hp suggest sending it back for a bench repair - but will it be reliable when it comes back?

Does anyone have a reliable E9180f. i like the configuration and performance but need a reliable system. Thanks for any advice.

HP Elite e9180f is a bad design

I really wanted to keep the e9180f because of its features and a decent price. I was out of town the 1st week after setting it up and my wife and daughter gave me the bad news - this computer crashes and freezes up non-stop.

A little Internet search reveals just how bad this system is. There is something fundamentally wrong with this computer design, most likely the mobo. Some folks claim that upgrading the nVidia driver did the trick but yet others claim the driver update had no effect.

I did leave the system powered up for 24hrs and had my family use it non-stop to try and crash it and surprisingly it did not crash. I then did a shutdown, waited a few minutes, and then powered up. Sure enough, once the Vista desktop rendered, the screen froze up, confirming the cold start problem many people have reported on various websites. I called it quits.

Recommendation: take it back for a full refund. I opted for a Dell XPS 435MT which is available at Staples and other retailers c/o an OEM relationship with Dell. The 435MT can also be purchased/customized via Dell but I needed a system now and couldn't wait another 2 weeks. The OEM version is fully warranted by Dell, is an I7 system with DDR3 6GB memory and a 550 GB SATA HDD. It lacks BlueRay but I could care less. Best news: the 435MT is stable and after the HP e9180f fiasco stability became top priority.

e9180f freezes

Well, after wasting many hours, I returned the original e9180f with the freezing problem for a refund. And, with some concerns ordered another one, which I have now had for a week. So far so good. No problems at all (aside from Vista).

The motherboard on the new e9180f is revision 1.04. The system with the freezing problem was 1.03. Not certain this was the issue but it seems quite likely from the many posted reports.

Thanks peter891 for getting back to us with your update. It is much appreciated and you've given us some valuable information.

Let us know if it continues to to a reliable revision.

There are now over 1000 complaints on the HP Support Forum concerning this problem with all core i7 models. I'd post the link but I don't have sufficient privileges to do so at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back